Very slow build from France

I gave up with water , shaft from FR custom made : not oscillation , probably through the o-ring with speed and the sls part/ tube

so i charged my pack : 2x 370wh: 740wh for 25min of ridding, average speed 21km/h, top speed 34km/h
so about 1800wh / 1h, i guess it is not bad :slight_smile:

found a way to connect the metr at:

• power vesc
  • open app
  • module connected
  • usb connected to pc
  • open vesc tool
  • change baudrate to 3000, flash it, then back to 11520
  • metr display values, recording works

test on firday, with a new wing :RL (crazy light vs the tukama!!!) , same setting at first, then i will see if i can go above 40km/h, i can put my battery in 13s or 14s as well

Then a new motor will arrive :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you buy the full RL plane ? If yes for how much ?

The Takuma front wing (same as Gong XL surf…) , is rated by kitefoilers at a max speed of 20-22knots = 35km/h. Which means past this speed, it becomes a parachute. Sure, the speed will increase but just 10% of this amp increase which makes it not worth the effort. This should be totally different with the RL wing… looking forward to your figures.

What is the chord length and thickness of your Takuma mast ? Masts like wings have a sweet spot… The thicker, the stronger, the slower.

Could you tell us more ? Direct drive inrunner ? 100-120kv ? :wink:

i got used from @Bender

for the new motor, since my gearbox has some play since i took it a part (my fault) and i want to ride this summer: i order a full pod :wink:

1 Like

It is the takuma v100 which is 1245cm2 , it is actually smaller than the gong M ( 1258cm2) , it is just crazy heavy but very strong , nice feeling , stable , forgive your mistake , can take off with great angle , but past 30km/h amp raise too much
I just do that for fun to see what it feels like above 40km/h , for the moment I keep both , since you cannot have everything …
i will try to post good data between the two wings …

1 Like

So last evening , i try the RL wing , and I said try because it was not fixe very well , I had some play with the front wing and it was the second battery pack I was tried…

I did not get really of the water because as soon as the board lifted it kicked me backward ( on off) to much speed , my remote does not have enough play on the trigger I was enable to get fine throttle

No graph, metr at did not work ( no time with sunset) but I have this :

This wing is not really easy vs the takuma but it is way faster

I had the chance to try @Gobbla board with a gong L , great setup , more fun , so I am may reconsider my setup : board size, set up and speed …

3 Likes

Alex what was your top speed ?

Did you tilt the back wing as i suggested (help to have better stability at low speed)

I have an f-one hydrofoil. How can we tilit a back wing?

No top speed recorded apparently on the last log file , turn off vesc before app … screen shot of the freezy screen
with the RL wing it was fun surfing , metr at doesn’t answer my mail , but made 2 update since , I have to take time to do this correctly , last night le sun was going down to fast …

Another screen shot of this evening , total of 25 min (12s8p , 120a motor 70a battery , throttle curve modified very smooth now ) , the vesc is a great esc , let you do a lot of thing ( beside data logging with mine , I will try another app with another hm-10 module )

This is just to see the efficiency vs speed and distance :

Practice turns … getting better ( still with the takuma wing )

Could you confirm that the Takuma mast is 109.5 x 14.7 mm ?

No tool to be accurate but yes a bit less the 110 mm and 15 mm
The rear edge is sharper than a gong , I cannot carry it when holding in this side

I will try to find my tool to measure it

1 Like

Test in 2 days :smile:

so i just finished to mount the FR motor on a GONG mast , which is just a little smaller than a takuma: it fits but if you want to put a Takuma mast on a GONG plate you will have to hard time to take it off…

i choose to put the wires this way because you cannot bend them very easily and i couldn’t do another way with my board (no time to built another right now)

i wanted to thank you David @Flying_Rodeo, for his hard work and the quality of the motor, it is just amazing !

i made my setting in the vesc, with 60A max for the battery, will see what will be the top speed :wink:

so i have 2 setup, with 2 mast and 2 wings “swapable”, i keep both because my wife said she wanted to try…

7 Likes

It’s beautiful, I’m drooling.

me too :smile:
about ±200w (battery side) with propeller in the air for ±5000 rpm
Ri : 20 (17 for my 56104)
very smooth and quiet

Be prepared to change it:
@Jezza changed his battery max current from 100 to 150A…

@rcjetman tried in
12s: scary according to experience
6s: worked amazingly well 2 x 6s 16Ah in parallel = 6s 32Ah.

not sure about that, will see, i allready tested with my geared motor 80/80, 130/80, 130/70
as i lowered the battery from 80 to 70, didn’t change anything, i got the kick to get off the water only when putting the motor to 130

this time 130/60

i am still running 8P so i want lower as much as possible the battery amp to avoid heat, but still getting a good top speed,since it is takuma wing that is slowing me down , i don’t want to play with the remote to get the must efficient top speed

i will lower the battery max value until the top speed lowers or take off becomes harder :wink:

so i run the FR motor: very quiet, smooth with torque
the propeller is a little bigger with less pitch, so as i take off, i don’t get that kick, the speed on the water is constant and take off easier

130A on the motor is nice , no trouble to take off, and 60A on the battery max setting in enough

60%-95% on trigger doesn’t change much for the top speed

efficiency is about the same 100wh/km, but this is with a duct now ! so safety is there…

happy with the numbers, motor is running nice , warm but not hot, ±30km/h with 60a and my takuma, that was the plan

i will try:

• duct off
  • RL wing
  • and off course full power but since it is 420A with this esc, i will go 150/150 first :slight_smile:

for the battery: 30Q 12S8P NESE modules

running nice but:

• i can take off with 90A (both motor), but 130A for the motor settings is more fun (depending on the wing and board)

• charged to 4,1v , here started at 4,06v and ended at 3,6v , 20min, 11,5/24A pack

• at 3,6v i had voltage sag to 3,3v which triggers the vesc and i need to pump to take off

• changing motor setting does not much, i am just pulling 7,5A/cell , so 8P is the least needed, i will change my vesc setting and see if i can get the 20A of the 24A pack as supposed

• since 60-95% duty range didn’t change much, i guess yes you can run the motor at a decent speed using 6S battery …

5 Likes

Any chance you can measure the static push in kg with a (bathroom) scale against a pontoon ? Range: 0 to 70% by 10% steps :ok_hand:

It will be hard the board will tilt up , I guess lying on why not …