S9tim's 80100 direct drive

I kept the original bearings for the first 20 runs or so then switched to sealed bearings (which are not sealed). I just change them out every 20 runs or so. None have failed yet, just get louder with time.

I have not added a thrust bearing.

Nice setup! What lipos are you using? I’m trying to source some but am not having success with hobby king.

I am using a brand from china found on ebay. They are 6s 10000mah taotuo batteries. They have held up very well so far.

Ok I want to buy a 80100 motor to join everybody else! Haha. The problems I’ve had with the gearbox setup has been ridiculous. @s9tim is this the motor you have?

I saw a few with the same 80100 model number.

Yes that is the same motor. The other one you see probably is a sensored motor which we do not need for our use.

Even though it is back ordered it usually ships in a week or two once you place the order.

Hi there are the coils coated with epoxy?
Thanks.

No coating on the coils. I only epoxied between the magnets.

The prop looks like it will cut you in half if you fall wrong. Does anybody have plans for covering it? Would be nice to hear about efficiencies lost with a duct on such a big prop.

Also, has anybody had success putting the 100kv APS 6384 PowerGlide motor with a duct on a foil board? I would love to know battery life because I am hoping to get up toward an hour of run time.

@s9tim awesome job!
I would like to ask you if you cut the motor shaft by yourself or you order the motor whit a custom shaft as you required?

I cut it myself with a dremel tool and cutoff wheel.

I made a hands free flush adapter for my APS 80100. I can hook it to the hose and it flushes the motor with fresh water while I tend to the batteries, etc. I will add the file tomorrow.

now that’s a cool idea.

do you spray the motor with wd40 or some form of oil to keep the bearings from rusting

I soak it in a bath of corrosion x about every 6 runs or so.

Usually ducts help to increase the efficiency. Helps to prevent tip vortexes. But if the ducts cross sectional area is too big you might get a lot of drag.