Freefly ARC200 Testing and ESC Shootoff

Yeah. Super disappointing, but I’ve been agonizing over deciding on getting so I guess this makes the decision easy :frowning:

Dang! The one I ordered just came in the mail yesterday. I guess this means they are probably done updating the tools and firmware…

The tools are pretty solid already so you shouldn’t have any issues.

I received mine not too weeks ago but still in its box, machined a watercooling heatsink, waiting to be anodized to witstand salt water.
The only limit with that vesc is the 12s.

ESC is a very bad business for Freefly to be in compared with their other products. An ESC is just a component of a larger system, and the market doesn’t support high margins, even with their name brand. With their multicopters and gimbals, they are probably getting 3x markup at least. The ARC200 was probably a personal pet project for their in house EE. I bet they made money on the first 1000 units, but not enough to warrant a second batch.

Here’s my rant: ESC business is not good to be in, in general. Flipsky (to name just one) has created an unrealistic expectation of low prices, while at the same time being utter crap. So we (the consumer market) have chased out the quality suppliers and now all we are left with is the cheapest, even though the quality is low. /rant

1 Like

Does anyone been able to run the Arc200 software on Windows 7? I know they say “untested” but it won’t open at all. On win10 works ok but my laptop still on win7 and I don’t want to upgrade it

Upgrade the laptop. Windows 10 is great of set up well. I wouldn’t go back to windows 7…

Don’t upgrade to win 10. This thing is just a s***.
I got both a win 10 laptop and a win 7 computer.
They both work great, however, once you begin to tinker a bit you soon find out that win 10 is full of ‘shared personal informations’ and your privacy is close to 0.

Did you tried the compatibility mode on Win 7 ?

You can turn all of that Microsoft tracking stuff off! Otherwise Microsoft would lose billions to GDPR alone. Sure big companies love to mine data, but I can guarantee you that you sharing way more through Facebook, Instagram, android apps and iPhone apps. Heck, even fusion 360 is tracking what you do…

Nope you can’t turn all those stuff off. Sure you have some options, but this is truly just the top of the iceberg.
Unlike win7 or even win xp, win 10 was free at the beginning to encourage people installing it (and thus mining personal informations). There are tons of data you have no idea are collected just by windows, and you just can’t turn all them off sinds you agreed with the end user agreement :smile:
I don’t use any social media. I do care about my privacy even if I just search for ‘hydrofoil motor’ :smile:

But this is not the main topic, sorry for starting this…

That goes without saying for pretty much every user agreement you sign for apps, software, google, apple and any other companies… If they can mine your data, they are going to. I can guarantee its just as much as windows 7, its just back then they didn’t need to declare it!
But yes, this is off topic ha ha ha.

This will work “in reverse”, e.g. if I had a native XP software to be run under Win7, but in this case it didn’t sort any positive effect: the Arc gui seem to start… but nothing.
Beside the fact that looks and feel like a very well built product, and that I already machined a nice alluminum heat sink… If I would have known that’s not a VESC compatible, I wouldn’t have bought this product. Price seemed ok except that between shipment and Custom I exceeded the 400€!!
Definitely I won’t upgrade my computer to W10 for that. It’s old but run SW flawless, solide state hd…why to mess with that?

…if anybody want to purchase… I got an ARC200 plus cables and connectors in stock!

Give me 15’, I’ll test the program on my win7 pc

Have you tried asking Freefly? They might be able to help.

Ok I tried on my win7 machine and got the same problem. Seems to be related to ‘clr20r3’ issue.
Tried various fix option like installing latest .Net framework, changing Unicode / non Unicode fonts, enabling / disabling FIPS 140 compilant cryptographic algorithms but none of those worked for me.

The developpers really just needs to add a few line codes to fix this issue tough. Can you contact Freefly to see what’s their solution ? Also, if they can’t fix it, making the code free for everyone may help a bit…

It’s a bit selfish but I’m glad I did not purchased this ESC. I wouldn’t have been able to run the software it on my win7 machine too…

1 Like