Flying Fish Jet Drive Build

Would it weaken the mast too much if I opened a hole to let the wires in?

A hollow mast? No. Just donā€™t make the holes any bigger then needed. You can add some layers of carbon fiber to build up the area if youā€™re worried about it.

:call_me_hand:

How are you waterproofing the output shaft from the motor?

I have 2 orings on each side of the motor mount and rear mast clamp respectively.

While I am waiting for a good board blank to use with my jet drive build, I transplanted my new maytech into my Lift. I still need to run a cooling line in my mast before doing a water test. I got everything working good enough for a dry test.

7 Likes

Looks very promising

1 Like

Hi MauiMatt,
I really like your build! It is inspiring! Iā€™ve just set down my path to build an eFoil. At this point Iā€™m just trying to select the drive train. Am I correct in understanding that you initially used a 4:1 gearbox but now donā€™t use a gearbox at all? If that is the case could you help me understand what the advantage of using a gearbox is?

@MauiMan do you know how much thrust youā€™re getting out of your jet drive? And have you had a chance to test it?

There is still no video of a working jet drive build anywhere on this forum right?

Iā€™m still under the impression no one has got a jet drive build to work yet.

Can someone point me to some videos please!

Not sure if your are thinking about DiY or commercial. On the commercial side, the Audi eTron seems to be the only one working. Then, weā€™re also waiting for @VeFoil demoing his (latest) jet drive unit.

Thank you. Yes. Thatā€™s the first, and to my knowledge the only working jet drive at the moment.

I think @virus has a working jet drive! Not 100% sure though!

1 Like

Maybe @virus will post a video.

I think heā€™s been pretty quiet because heā€™s trying to make a commercial product. Gotta keep your ideas from being stolen in that case! :wink::face_with_monocle:

Iā€™ve spent an almost embarrassing amount of time perusing this forum during the last month or two, and your jet build is one of the most interesting things Iā€™ve found so far. I think Iā€™m leaning towards using a sss motor with a reduction gear simply because I could use the motor to try out your jet system in addition to a prop set up. Your videos of how much water your jet is moving are very impressive!

1 Like

Jet drive technology is way behind prop drive units.

Big companies are trying jet drive and almost no one has been successful.

The only currently working jet board is the Audi Etron Jet foil board and it draws way too much power, and only works at high speeds.

I wouldnā€™t waist my time with jet drive if your goal is to have a working board.

well we started with a jet drive build already in 2017 and I think we were the first successfully riding with an inflatable hydrofoil with jet drive systemā€¦see video
www.elevate.rocks jet drive inflatable 2017
however as you cant foil with less than 2kw we decided to changeover to more effective prop system having some more advantages and riding with about half power... So if you dont want to waste much timeā€¦ go for prop drive.
You can get finished prop systems for around 1200ā‚¬ (excl. Vat) already, so don`t waste time on model staff with bearing problems or something that is not 100%waterproof;-)

2 Likes

@ELEVATE.rocks

That video doesnā€™t show the drive unit. But, if you say it was jet driveā€¦ Iā€™ll take your word for it! :wink:

Wasnā€™t many boards out there in 2017! Good on you!

Update: I decided to build a custom battery box.

image image image image

3 Likes

Hi @MauiMan ! Great job!
I really like your project! Iā€™m new and I have read a lot of topics but this one is really awesome. Iā€™ll start to build my own efoil but Iā€™d like to ask your help sharing your project or giving me some tips. Thanks a lot.
Gianmarco

1 Like

Hi Flightjunkie,

Iā€™m a newbie wanting to build an electric eFoil and Iā€™m going over the different posts on Efoil Zone as to see the various builds and I found your comment about MauiManā€™s jet drive Efoil VS prop drive very interesting. Are you still of the opinion that prop drive is still the best and most performant drive system?

Regards

Richard