Flying Fish Jet Drive Build

Hi

Yes. Jet drives don’t work under water. Super inefficient and very high power consumption.

You will not find a single working jet drive e-foil board.

If you find one, send me the link. There have been a couple concepts built. But, they don’t really work.

Good luck with your build!

:call_me_hand:

Didn’t Audi build one?

and yes jet drives are highly inefficient. They are cool though.

1 Like

and I forgot to ask, is it more efficient if the prop is ducted?

Hi.

The duct is there for safety. The duct adds a lot of drag. Huge loss of performance. Good for learning. Not only safer, but more stable, easier to ride.

Hi.

That’s the only working one I’ve seen. And it looks like it performs poorly. They don’t show the rider starting from a stop.

I would guess really high amp draw. Short ride time?

If it worked well I think we would see more videos and more information on it.

Thanks for posting it.

I’m pretty sure Audi only got 20 minutes max ride time from a very big battery - I’m scrolling through our linkedin Chats as we speak. They have since changed their design to a prop, I know that much

1 Like

Vefoil got his working too. Videos on his youtube channel…
The only time it would have acceptable performance might be for a wave assist surf setup… But even then you may as well skip the jet altogether and just use a small prop…

I was not on the board back then, but it seems from reading old threads Vefoil did quite a bit of pushing the jet drive. Is part of their disappearance perhaps due to the fact that they put all of their eggs in a bad basket while also bolstering the Canadian government’s mentality that props were too dangerous? They essentially painted themselves into a corner it seems to me. So glad I was not a backer, I almost backed both vefoil and waydoo before deciding to take the time to DIY…

Vefoil never had a working jet drive. They have some videos but never showed the jet drive working and It is obvious they initial tests were with prop. Without a proper fall detection both in the board and remote prop always can cause serious damage. Now that It has been couple of months I am pushing the limits, I see it clearly with me DIY foil and lift foil. Sometimes there is a situation in choppy water, during very sharp turns board falls to one side and I fall to the posit side where the prop and wing are. I see there is a change some part of body gets tangled in to prop section even with the prop guard. In this situation remote fall detection baes on emu will not help a lot but the imu in remote early can detect the board angular limits (angle and angular acceleration).

At 2:30-2:31 you can see the jet system through the water…

1 Like

Vefoils kickstarter was to opensource the jet systems design. It was never to actually deliver a physical product to the backers. I think a lot of guys misread what he planned on doing when they backed them. Unfortunately he never actually even delivered the plans and instead patented them…

you are kidding right? that can be water cooling spitting some water out

I backed Vefoil and never got plans. Instead was promised a discount on the product they are trying to sell.

Bait and switch with this one.

I don’t think you understand where the jet is located on the foil…

Look at where the intake is over the rear wing and then again where the nozzle ends… He is clearly riding a Jet drive…

2 Likes

If that was a working solution wondering why they stopped it there! it would take over Canada market right away with no problem finding investors.

Could be loads of reasons… Health, wealth, stress, underestimating the effort to bring the project to production. Look at the size of flying rodeos production capacity and not even he can keep up…

2 Likes

I agree. But it is sad that vFoil went radio silence. HIs last comment here was that they joined a bigger company and going in stealth’s mode to come up with a product. He is still way too far from mass production Flying Rodeo still is a CNC shop. Demand is not high enough to push it to mass manufacturing. Compare $10k price tag of the efoil to jetski or car which one is more complex and has more parts? But flying Rodeo and lift have the competitive advantage when Efoil market grows if it ever grows

MauiMan
The link to the cad files are down can you repost them.
Thanks

Hi, any progress with you build ?

Howdy, I was interested in your STL files, but it looks like there was no links or no good links at this point. You still up for sharing?
I have a small cnc mill, small lathe and 3d printer so I think I can make this with a bit of work.

Cheers!