Flightjunkie's first e-foil build

I recommend red lock tight. It is not that hard to remove. That’s what I have been using. Make sure to use tefgel or something similar in the flange or you will get galvanic crevice corrosion.

:call_me_hand:

2 Likes

You will need water-cooling. But, if you do it without a pump it is very easy to do. Look at my setup. Just a hole in the nose cone. A quick release connector to the mast. And an out flow fitting.

2 Likes

I’ve just ordered a aluminium housing from Uk.RSonline of similar dimensions thanks :+1:

I also ordered all the parts to install water cooling the other week just in case I needed them. Along with the 1200mm antenna you recommended. First time I’ve ordered from Bangood, 20-40 days shipping :flushed:!

But I’m trying to avoid water cooling altogether if possible. But its looking like I might have to :tired_face:.

Question though, how did you attach your VESC to the bottom of the Aluminium housing to transfer heat but also stay fixed and not bounce around?.

Mine fits very tight. So, I didn’t attach it. It’s just wedged in. But, it wouldn’t be hard to tap the holes in the box for threads and make blocks that hold it down.

1 Like

I sanded down the bottom of my Flipsky 200A VESC heatsink which was painted black until it was shiny aluminum. I next applied thermal epoxy. The inside bottom of the surface enclosure was spot faced on the university CNC mill to promote good heat transfer. I originally planned to use this passive heat sink but did not use it. I will install a water cooling block in it’s place in the near future. The bottom exterior face has also been spot faced.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity what does your lift board weigh on it’s own with nothing in it?.

2 Likes

Where exactly you got the flipsky Vesc without the water-cooled heat sink?

Got it from Flipsky! Purchased April 2019 before they started potting the PCB and including the water cooling case. I would have preferred the water cooled version.

1 Like

Not sure. And I’ve bolted the electronics box into it. So, it would be a lot of work to weigh it. My friend bought one. I’ll see if I can get him to weigh it.

Honestly mate don’t worry about it, I thought you may have known off the top of your head but no worries :call_me_hand:

Thought I’d share some video of Flightjunkie and I on my second test run. My first run, I had a few issues I had to work out. Fixed those and everything worked as hope and planned for… Thanks efoil.builders!!! :grinning:

https://youtu.be/JOpjLd5mDro

6 Likes

Looking great. You guys are lucky there, jeez what a great spot to fly!

3 Likes

Nice man! We got some good shots. Your board looks sick!

:sunglasses::call_me_hand::desert_island::surfing_man::beers:

1 Like

Hi guys.

@Sean and I got a good session in the other day. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/HxhiXp3ujJs

7 Likes

Hey Michion, the seal is in place and board close to ready. Not all is in place yet so I am not sure if the seal is so good that I cant open the hatch like yours, but which nice looking thumbscrews did you use? Did you install some thread in the board?

@Flightjunkie I saw on another post you used the folding prop. On which build did you place it on, the Flipsky or FR motor? Also I’m assuming you had to make an adapter to make it fit the 12mm shaft?

Hi.

My friend @Sean and I both got folding props.

I’m running my folding prop on my FR motor and I got a 3 blade FR prop for my 65161 motor.

I helped Sean figure out how to modify his folding prop to fit on the 65161 motor.

It’s pretty easy. It fits the shaft size. You just gotta drill the small hole out and make a counter sunk hole for the nut.

Maybe @Sean will post some pictures of his prop.

Here are the measurements.

Fr 2019 motor system - #387 by Flightjunkie - Propulsion System (Motor, Gears) - FOIL.zone

1 Like

Hi guys.

You may have already seen the thread I started about the folding prop issues I was having where the motor wouldn’t start back up.

I got it fixed with the help of some of the experienced guys on this forum.

I just wanted to add the link here to keep my build thread updated.

Can wait to got surf some more waves! :desert_island::surfing_man::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Looking good flightjunkie! I’m very glad you posted your build as it is great inspiration. I am using your builds as a reference for my own. Currently waiting for my motor 65161, 3d printer (prusa mini), and foil mast (19mm Axis). I am probably going to print props for now and then possibly machine out the Lift Folding prop to fit the motor.

I wonder how difficult it would be to pump foil a 30kg e foil. Would definitely be a leg burner haha.

1 Like

I can pump about 5 pumps. But…yea. I don’t think it would be easy to keep it going. Even with the folding prop there is some added drag with the motor and all. Plus all the extra weight!