Flightjunkie's first e-foil build

Perfect fitting box for the 75/300, do you mind sharing where you got this from?

No, my case is mounted on a aluminumplate. This plate is on the bottom of my box that is printed and separated in two parts.
The bottom aluminum plate have contact with the water. So my plan is, I not need cooling with a water pump.

It is possible to set all VESC settings with Bluetooth?

A other idea, I not use the aluminum lid but take a plastic one and I can be sure that the signal will be not blocked.

I would be careful having a grounded aluminum surface in contact with the water especially if you ride in salt water. APS 80100 with windings painted with epoxy and sealed connectors must have had an uninsulated connection somewhere as when cogging the motor and touching my case (VESC must have connection to ground via sanded heatsink, thermal adhesive to bottom of case) got a nice shock. I tested in freshwater for this exact reason. Did it again and got another shock to confirm it. I no longer do that anymore :slight_smile:

I got mine from Polycase and don’t have signal issues.

2 Likes

I am using a 65161 from Flipsky.
I have a total isolated way from the motor till to the connections from the VESC. I not think so that I can got an shock. A lot of people’s riding a similar configuration and never hear something about such problems. :thinking:

I would like to use this motor in my next iteration. What KV rating are you using and what battery voltage? Also foil mast?

I am using the 120 kV version. I have an 2* 6s14p battery and a Gong mast/foil L.
Later i will change to a smaller foil from gong.

Great I will get the same one for 75/300 and should be able to share some data with you soon to compare. What shaft diameter 10mm or 12mm? Flipsky propeller or 3D printed?

I’m trying to avoid water cooling also but looks like I may have to :tired_face:. I put new latches on my hatch yesterday (same as lift) which let almost no water in when I went for a ride yesterday. The down side is my run only lasted 20 minutes as my VESC hit its limit of 75 degrees. Compared to the day before where my hatch was full of water and I had a ride of over an hour.
You have the benefit of an aluminium case to dissipate heat where mine is CF. I’m hoping when I fill with corrosion x that will help keep it cool.

As for signal I think you will have no problem penetrating the aluminium box, so long as there is no water of the top of it.
Water is the killer any water over your box and that’s where you loose signal.

i think it is the 10mm shaft and i bought the FR aluminium propeller :wink:

I was thinking about FR drive unit but will go this route as it’s more cost effective. Which FR propeller? Thanks for all the replies.

I don’t know if having the aluminum box in contact with the water is entirely a bad thing. It’s really only a bad thing if you touch it and cog the motor. If it’s mounting on the bottom of the board I really don’t think it’s an issue (especially with motor isolated). In my case motor must have not been isolated and box is on top of board where you get on. Different situations.

I do wonder if somehow this could be a feature not a bug? :slight_smile:
https://ocean-guardian.com/pages/shark-shield®-technology

Here is the link to my build and the propeller: Slow Build Austria / Salzburg - #121 by nice2cu - Builds - FOIL.zone

Went to order the box you have but wanted $144 shipping. :-1: no chance :joy:

Where are you based? It was cheap to California, USA. Sorry to hear that.

Amazing build!! Very inspiring. I will get the same motor and read more there. I especially like how you use string to pull the wires through. This was a huge pain for me.

Once your up and flying, there’s little or no contact with the water. I noticed this as soon as I was up and riding for 5 mins non stop and had forgot to turn on the water pump. I had an overheat issue. But the water temps 27degrees here and ambient is 35.

Hahahaha. Brave man to cut your expensive 75/300 down to fit the box like I did. :rofl::call_me_hand:

Anyone who doesn’t want to do that can buy the larger of the two boxes I posted.

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

Contact the company. I think it’s “bud industries” that makes these boxes. They have been very helpful when I contacted them. I’m sure you can work out affordable shipping.

If you do water cooling without a pump, just a hole in the nose cone. It’s works very well, and added benefit of not having to remember to turn on and off a pump!

:call_me_hand: