Crazyfoil Jet Track 2020

I’m talking with crazyfoil to get either replacement parts or refund but it’s not clear yet. Will post here when it’s agreed.

1 Like

@Larsb how did they respond? I am about to put in another support ticket, but may try to opt for the refund route myself…

So, today I finally got to ride the Crazy Foil and I have a story to tell. On Saturday I installed a carbon foilmount.com plate on a cheap, old, dusty surfboard I had in the garage. This combination almost felt too easy - it worked really well. I hooked a long ski rope to my 10hp dinghy and got a friend to give me a pull while I sat on the dock. The dock start went perfectly and I was up and riding without getting wet for a good 5-7 minutes. I just cruised around on it and had him go different speeds. I had a big smile on my face as it was very easy to ride, had a fantastically low stall speed, had better range than I expected, and handled really well!

Crash 1: I started playing around and carving into the tiny dinghy wake. I am used to riding a 1m mast and ended up breaching the wing. It was a very soft crash with an uneventful planting of the surfboard nose into the water.

Crash 2: I rode for another 5 minutes and started riding a little more aggressively. I breached again with a very soft get off since it was from such a low speed.

Crash 3: I was up and riding for another 2 minutes and carved into the tiny dinghy wake. I heard and felt a loud CRACK through the surfboard and was instantly down!!! I was pretty sure that was the sound of the foilmount ripping off the bottom of the surfboard in the cold water since I had not given it the full 24 hours of curing time. For a few seconds I was a little mad at myself. I swam to the board and felt for the mast. It was still attached. I flipped the board over in the water and to my astonishment half of the front wing was gone. It cracked right down the middle along the fuselage.

I am bummed because I really liked everything about the way it felt (other than wanting a longer mast) but it saw absolutely NO abuse and catastrophically failed in less than 15 minutes of riding. I snapped a few pictures right after it happened and will post the pics next. I suppose I will be trying the medium wing next, but have lost a lot of faith in this brand. We shall see how their CS handles this…

Something is missing… oh, half of the damn wing.

If you are thinking it was brittle from temp, the water wasn’t that cold. I had booties, gloves, and a rashguard. No wetsuit yet here. Also, there were no objects in the water and there is a zero percent chance I hit the botto
1m. This is a very deep lake and I know it well. We were 300 yards from the dock.

I guess since CrazyFoil costs about 50% less they figured this was okay. :slight_smile:

Hi everyone it’s Cédrick from CrazyFoil. I have been reading a few things on this forum for a while. We were happy that a few of you efoil builders concidered using our product for an Efoil. Crazyfoil have been created out of a passion for the sport. One of Crazyfoil enterprise vision is to make that sport accessible for more people. Our foils are injection molding parts and it make us really more accessible. The injection molding process is really pushed to it’s limits when making a foil of that thickness. Our foil never had the finish of carbon made foil. Unfortunately, a change in the production process made some 30’’ foil weak sometime. We noticed that the surface finish was not on point and we were going to change that in a hurry. We therefore never knew our foil where affected mechanically until resently. We are currently making new foils and we are inviting you to contact us if you have been affected by this situation.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting! I have been cautiously optimistic about your gear. After finally getting to ride it, I have to say if it holds up, I will continue to ride for a long time. I have several large groups of friends in the different boating communities who have been watching my foiling for years now and are excited to start trying when the prices come down and there is something easier for them to learn on like this option. If it holds up, I know a bunch of people that may be ordering for the Spring, but am reluctant to recommend it until it stands the test of time and hundreds of really hard wipe outs like my harder to ride and less stable Liquid Force setup.

I heard back from the CrazyFoil customer support this morning and they indicated the same thing regarding a potential manufacturing defect. I am excited to get the new wing in the mail. It sounds like it will be sent out soon. In the meantime I will try the medium wing which was not affected by the defective process?

Well, i got the full refund so crazyfoil did their part. They also made me destroy the parts before refund, i guess the logic was to stop claims to get free parts.
It really upset me to do this since it was such a waste. Maybe the parts could have been salvaged somehow, i don’t know.

Then regarding the customer service… It’s not only what is the end result (full refund) but how you meet the customer.

This is the response on my initial claim. You’ve seen the same pics as crazyfoil. My wings had obvious surface defects coming from a poorly run process, it had distorted shape. Now we see the same issue resulting in cracked wings. Plastic flow and fibre separation is obviously problematic in the process at crazyfoil (besides poor quality control and the ”i hope to get away with it” attitude.)

I’ ll let you all decide for yourself if this is a company that should be supported with your cash. I hope they step up and learn from this, then maybe they’ll stay in business.

PS: for f*cks sake crazyfoil. I can already imagine your excuses in response to this. Just don’t. It’s time to own up, say you’re sorry and move on. Anything else will just do your brand more damage.

That is kind of a shame.
Can we at least use the waste for something productive?
Do you care to try giving the longer section of the mast some kind quick and dirty static shear test to see how hard it is to bend it?

Looks like you took a saw to it. Was it easy or difficult to cut through?

It was easy to cut but aluminum is always easy to cut on a mitre saw. I can’t be bothered to test it - I just want to find a new foil and get riding.

Try grab a used Gong or LF… I saw a brand new unused LF foil go for £200 the other day on ebay!

Good idea! :smiley: I’ll start looking, didn’t think there was a lot of used foils out there.

Where are you based? I have a used foil that I don’t want lots for. It’s a Chinese Slingshot clone. I have modified the fuse so that it fits Gong masts as well so its got loads of options…

I’m in sweden :sweden:

I’m interested, PM me!

Lars, buy the RL 2019 foil. You get special discount and its proven by many here. <500€ is cheap for a european foil and you get it in 3-4 days.

That’s also a good suggestion of you can still get it!

Bought my last one in july, still 229 for the front wing. The leading edge is completely hammered now from several stone encounters. Still rides well, but will go back to Rene for a new one for 2021

The rl wing seems nice, what about gong curve?

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/produit/gong-surfoil-allvator-curve-alu-carbon/

My first wing was gong and i’m impressed with price/quality ratio!

There are actually 2 different RL front wings for efoils, the smaller 2018 version with 1200cm2 and a newer, bigger one with 1600cm2. The newer one has lower consumption. I‘m happy with my 2018 1200cm2 wing, quite light, good lift, should be fine up to 40km/h.

1 Like

The RL 1200cm2 wing would be the best all-round wing for a good price. Its higher aspect than the Gong curve and RL 1600cm2. If I was new to the game, I would buy one of the following combo’s:

RL:

• 90cm Mast
  • Base plate
  • fuselage
  • back wing
  • 1200cm2 front wing

Gong:

• 65cm or 80cm mast (If you mainly foil flat water 65cm is fine)
  • Base plate
  • Allavator fuselage
  • Veloce L wing (you will need to drill an extra hole in fuselage and tap it)
  • Whatever stabiliser you want

Those will come out slightly more than buying second hand or a Gong kit, but they are better and will last longer in terms of progression.

1 Like