I am around electronics and RC stuff for a long time and usually help others, but I really need some help here.
A friend and me built an e-foil and we have real problems with the startup behavior of the motor. Most of the time the Motor stalls and does not spin up.
When it starts correctly, then everything works awesome and we can get a nice ride. But this is not always the case.
I see that there a mass of settings to mess around on the VESC but non of them does a real difference on the startup behavior
- FlipSky 200A VESC Clone Watertight
- SSS 56114 Motor with 350 or 360 kV
- Ducted, direct diven 80mm self developed 4-Blade CNC ALU prop (measured > 50kg thrust and 30km/h, 13.000 rpm) Peak wattage is 5.7kW on static thrust. Riding at about 2.5kW
- 12s LiPo 16Ah
- 1.5 extension of the motor wires with 8 AWG wire, 8mm gold plugs
- VESC running VOC Mode with tuned values (via the FOC tuning function built in)
- VESC BT module and Android APP for logging and Debugging
The VESC App is showing “over current” when the motor stalled at startup, even though the limits are quite hight. VESC is set to 200A current limit on motor and 120A on Battery.
Last time we were riding we blew our motor bearing and wrecked the motor completely.
After we blew the one motor, the startup has been getting worse. Now it only starts up when you very slowly increase throttle and only 1 of 5 times. But no warnings in the app. (!!!)
When it stalls, the behavior is similar to an BL Motor just running on 2 of the 3 wires.
FUN Fact: our motor IS running on 2 of 3 wires!!! (didn’t know this is possible at all)
Doesn’t matter which of the wires is plugged in.
This is against every experience and knowledge I have about BLDC motors and I cannot help myself here.
Soooooo now you come!!!
WTF is going on???
We already ordered a new ESC, but even before the blown motor, the startup was really bad. What can we do?