Trampa VESC6+ with 80100

Hi folks,

does someone is successfully using the Trampa VESC6+ with an 80100 outrunner?
I would like to bond this VESC to a alu plate in the bottom of my board for having a nice passive heatsink.

I’m afraid that it can’t handle the higher current (around 80A battery current) to get to take-off-velocity.

Please test
https://m.banggood.com/HGLRC-Flipsky-High-Current-FSESC-200A-60V-ESC-ba<x>se-on-VESC6-for-Electric-Skateboard-Rc-Model-p-1476019.html?akmClientCountry=DE&gmcCountry=DE&currency=EUR&cur_warehouse=CN
and confirm success :grinning:

Vesc6 takes 80a not for long probably , always wanted to try it , very well made , you can over set the limits , the temp will be the problème I think so very good cooling will be needed

Strange, doesnt Website say 80A continues and 150A Peak?

yes but not everybody puts constant 80A for 10-15min (ebike, eskate…), all depending what “continues” is :slight_smile:

I don’t know this one in particular, but the VESC6+ is at least better than the Maytech 200A ESC. Also the VESC6+ beats all theFlipsky 6.6 ESCs by far.

@Trampa do you have/ are you doing comparisons vs other VESC hardware?
You should make some benchmarks. Like temperature curves of the Trampa VESCs vs temperature curve of third party VESCs at same conditions/ side by side. So people can see that a Trampa 80A continuous is higher than a Flipsky 200A continuous.
I guess this helps hesitant customers, which don’t know about electronics and the importance of high quality hardware design.
A lot of people are tricked by the Maytech and Flipsky “ratings”…

1 Like

Actually we got involved in a project where some different 200A VESC based clone ESCs were used. They did not perform, so we had a closer look.

It is not so easy to measure 200A! The 200A rated ESCs we have seen were not able to measure the 200A they claim to provide. In consequence we outperform them with the standard VESC SIX plus.
The SIX Plus is very capable when you apply good cooling.

That means: the 6+ can handle 80A Batterycurrent with additional good cooling?
So it should work with 12s, 30-60A Batterycurrent during foiling and 80A to get on Foil?

I like to present myself as a trial rabbit with my 80100 :grinning:

Nope, as far as I understand they talk about motor current.

That is also an interesting fact by jakebarnhill1

Motor current is the thing that matters.

I would give it a try but I need to change all connectors to AS150 connectors. Will then be the warranty void? If it is to small can I send you the unit back and get my money back? If yes I would try it out in the name of science.

I don’t think that you will need the AS 150, but if you like, change it.

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile: good one; I don’t remember you beeing this gentle.
Enertion always said “release the FRANK!!”

It is quite hard to measure and provide 200A continuous, if your current sensing hardware is only good up to 165A :rofl:

I just don’t want to change all my other connectors.

What is the peak current measurement capability of VESC6+? How is motor current defined for 80A continuous? Which continuous battery current can we expect?

3,3V/2 = 1,65V
gain: 20, R= 0,0005
=> 1,65/0,01= ±165A Max.

Depends on the rpm.
Motor current = torque
Battery current = power
Power = torque x rpm

I would prefer if Trampa answered this. I used the same values with my 6384PG Surfboard without foil and got maximum 3.2kW. There is always some noise and the remaining safe value is much lower. Otherwise you risk HW Abs Overcurrent Failures which will make you fall which is not acceptable.
Also this peak value is not RMS. And last but not least the maximum dutycycle is 95%, so the battery current is even lower, meaning you can get best case 48V75A less than 4kW and worst case 37V75A around 2.7kW. Are you able to start with that power? Which might be even lower, because the current limitation jumps in at low speeds.
Anyhow, if someone wants to try, order some 0.3mOhm shunts, that solves problem.
If you then optimize the cooling you can go longer for full power.
A lot of losses in VESC are switching losses. You only get rid of them by fast switching which increases power losses in the caps and of course by proper cooling. Also the shunts have their limits, also pointing in direction of less resistance and thereby linearly decreasing power losses.

Min start power : overall 110kg , wing 1250cm2 , 12s (18650) : battery 50A motor 90A … not for long …

If this low power is used it should never be a problem
It is a little bit strange to use a motor built for 7kW continuous at 2kW peak.
There were times i thought about using smaller outer diameter for outrunners than 63mm. Maybe we could focus on this.

You can push 100A through a VESC 6, so getting started is possible. Some people have gone even higher in Amps, up to 120.
It is a bit hard to tell absolute values since that also depends on the motor itself, ERPM etc.
In the end a proper test is the best way to find things out.
We have some customers who are happy users of the VESC SIX Plus in e-foils.