Riding techniques

I thought that I would start a new topic on riding techniques where learners can ask questions and more advanced riders can possibly help.
After 30 or 40 hours in the water I feel my training wheels are almost gone. I can do nice carving backside turns whilst on the foil, but still trying to master toeside turns. I’m on a small naish kite wing which doesn’t help and the fact that up until now I have only practiced turning backside hasn’t worked in my favour either.
Does anybody else find themselves favouring turning one way only?
Any advice from more experienced riders would be appreciated.

1 Like

In my experience, if I’m on the foil my heelside turns are more easy. But if I’m not on the foil, my toeside turns are more easy.

I think it has to do with the position of your feet. On the foil you need weight on your front foot to make a nice turn. But in the water you need weight on your back foot to make the turn.

2 Likes

If you want to learn a toeside turn, you have to stand a little bit more to the front, so you can use your weigth on the back foot to control the turn. If you stand to much to the rear, you will stall in the turn.

2 Likes

For me backside turns were extremely hard in the beginning. I fell on the board really bad while trying backside turns. After that is was afraid. But I forced me to do it again and again. But still I prefer the other direction.

1 Like

Thanks @Rienk I’ll try having my weight further forward. After looking at some photos of me riding I can see the nose if the board is higher than the tail. So I think you are right.

In my experience it boils down to stance and foot position (on the board). For toeside turns. Try placing your back foot a little more to the center of the board (not on the board edge) and bend the knees. This will enable you to move your body mass so that you are leaning more into the turn.

1 Like

Thank you @cyberfoil I’ll give that a try too.