Nickel Strip Quality

Just a heads up to guys that are building batteries. A while back I built up a a battery pack and used “pure” nickel strip from Nkon. The owner of the pack managed to get water in it. 3 months later the nickel strip has corroded through. Clearly its not great quality nickel!

1 Like

Do you really expect it to last under those conditions?

Was it salt water? Galvanic corrosion?

Fresh water. It was dried out after the water. It wasn’t in the pack for 3 months (just in case you were thinking along those lines). Pure nickel shouldn’t corrode. I used two different sets of nickel on the battery. The other showed no signs of corrosion…

1 Like

Thank you @Jezza I had to order from Nkon… the second set of nickel that didn’t corrode came from who?

1 Like

An eBay (UK) seller named metal-mass. It’s a bit pricier, but the no corrosion is a positive sign. There’s a very good post on the electric skateboard builder site about nickel quality. I’ll try find it tomorrow and post a link for all to read through…

1 Like

I bought this " Pure Nickel" for the battery I built. It says its pure Nickel. I held it against the grinding wheel. It sparked a lot more than some other Pure Nickle I had bought earlier in the year from another vendor. So I did not use it. It also took at least a month to arrive.

Here is how my sparky “Pure Nickle” arrived.

That doesn’t look promising lol

1 Like

Testing, testing, t…
One thing to do with any any newly received nickel strip would be to cut two 2cm (1") samples down: plunge one in salt water for 2 weeks, the second one in 14 degree vinegar (white cleaning vinegar) same duration and see what happens.