New Direct Drive Inrunner 65150

Thanks, I read a lot of your early build stuff . Now I see your running the FR motor. Hows that compare to your geared drive?
Hows that aluminum plate work for keep the VESC cool, is it enough? I have already ran the water cooling tubing from my motor nose cone up. I have a little 120 mm x 40 mm water cooler on order . I like the simplicity of the aluminum plate.
Thanks for answering my question.

Thanks for the info., Which motor were you towing with? That is great news. How are you cooling the VESC?

Yes the plate on top is enough

Compared to my geared setup I would see very quiet , less punchy but it is not the same prop at all so hard to compare …

Where is that Aluminum plate and how big is it?

I recall something like 120x200mm , 2mm
Case on top of the board
Never even about 60 degree C

I was riding the FR motor with the 75/300 VESC.

Check out my build write-up for details on the waterproof box and cooling setup.

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

I throw out my Flier Boat now. I am not happy about the Quality from the Software and the possibility not really find good results together with my Flipsky.

On the bottom of my Box I have a 5003504 Aluminum Plate. It seems me it is enough to ride that Vesc without cooling?

1 Like

I hope I am not disappointed with the performance of the 65161. Seems that more and more people are going to the FR motor.

No, a lot of guys using that motor and happy.
And yes, the FR Motor is much more better but also much more expensive :wink:

Depends on what you want…
It’s not going to be the fastest or most efficient but in terms of a value for money I think it’s decent.
If I was to do a high performance unit I’d gear it as that’s where you are going to get the best performance…

Can you elaborate on this ? What do you mean ? torque ? Power ? Efficiency ?

I have been riding the flier 400a boat ESC with my 65161 motor. Works great on 14s with the BUartLowKVmotor firmware. No problems at all.

I’m shaping / building my second board. The flier ESC / 65161 motor combo will be powering this one.

I plan to do some VESC data logging and compare the two motors. But, the 65161 motor feels plenty strong.

I have 12s with the same ESC and motor.
He not starting himself.
When I push him he run slow and fast very smooth.
What should I do?

Are you 100% sure the firmware is successfully flashing to the ESC? What remote are you using? Did you calibrate the throttle?

yes, because after flashing I am not able to do some settings on my Flier :slight_smile:

I am using the cheap 33$ Remote.

And yes, I calibrate the Remote but I can do that only with a other firmware.
So I calibrate it and flash after to that firmware…

The problem is your remote.

I had the same problem with my cheap remote. Buy a Maytech remote.

Yes. The cheap remote is the problem. You need to calibrate the remote after flashing the firmware. The remote should still calibrate in the new firmware. Each cheap remote is different as too how to calibrate it. Try to unplug the ESC. Turn the remote on. Then hold full throttle on the cheap remote while plugging in the ESC power. Hold full throttle the whole time. You should hear some beeping when it’s calibrated. Let go of throttle and see if it works. Sometimes the cheap remotes will calibrate backwards and the motor will start running when you let got of the throttle. If this happen unplug ESC power and try again. You might have to hold full reverse while you plug it in.

I eventually got my cheap remote to work. But it wasn’t reliable and still had some start issues. The issues all went away when I got the maytech remote.

I’d say stop waisting you time with the cheap remote. This has been my experience. Hope this information helps.

1 Like

Funny, a lot guys from here got that combination running…

I would think so , depending if the bottom plate can give up heat in some ways , riding 30min , heat build up

I’m riding with the cheap remote, can’t remember if I calibrate it, I riding the B uart low kv firmware, with the 500A flier esc. But at lower speed it doesn’t sound great, rattling noise a little bit. you can hear it at the video.

I lost my 7 pitch prop and ride now with cut down 5 pitch alu prop. about 1600 watt with low speed at the video. So it is working but the sound is like it is a bit out of sync, I hope flier will provide better firmware soon.

Maybe a FOC controller is better