New Builder, Need all and any Advice

Hi, I am currently a Sophomore in high school, and I’m looking into building an efoil. During my senior year of high school, I will be taking a class where I have one semester with a mentor, and I get to build whatever I want (but I need to pay for any materials my school doesn’t already have, so most likely everything). I decided I would start doing research on efoils because that sounds like a challenging, but rewarding project to embark on. Where should I start my research? I need to know what parts I would need, where I could buy them, and how they would be assembled. Are there any sources you guys would recommend for me? Lastly, could someone give me a price range for a project like this? Thank you to everybody that responds, all information is appreciated!

Your best bet for information is the forum i think,start your research here.
For the parts it depends what configuration you want or is legal in your area.(for example in Canada you can’t have a setup with a prop,so it’s only jet drive there)
I would say it’s around 2500-8500usd depending on where you get your parts from,the setup you want to build and how much you want to DIY…
I hope this helps…

1 Like

Thank you, that definitely helps. I’ll continue poking around the website, and see what can find.

Oh and try to stay away from Maytech products ,they usually are of bad quality,expensive and the warranty is a joke…

2 Likes

Someone sent me links to these parts, efoil, and ESC. One of them is maytech. Would you recommend finding something else? I’ll do more research and I’m not buying anything yet, but what is your opinion on these two components specifically? Thank you.

I haven’t heard of the maytech esc failing just yet(probably because not many people buy it,you can get a decent esc/vesc for that price…)
As for the motor i for one would make sure it’s not a knockoff(heven’t seen one just yet on the market ,but just to be sure…),but otherwise you can get it for almost the same price from the flyingrodeo website if you want to be 100%sure(you can ask your questions from @David regarding the motor as well he is a forum member, he makes these)

1 Like

http://flyingrodeoefoil.com/motor-systems/

1 Like

I would look into the remotes first because that’s the hardest to source…
If you are familiar with electronics you can make your own or wait for @samisin or @YAHEF to finish theirs…
They seem to be close to finishing it and they are probably better than the commercial options…
Or you can try this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964548031.html
you can get it from ebay too .but you will need to further waterproof it
Or as the ones who have been doing this for the longest:get a good eskate remote and put it in a condom…

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll check out those options.

Also some people noted that the signal on these sometimes fluctuate a bit but you can probably get rid of that with an arduino and bit of coding

1 Like

Would you recommend getting all of the components from flying rodeo, or are there other options I should look into?

Ok, thank you for the heads up.

You should definitely look into other options as well, for example Lift also sells some parts on their website https://liftfoils.com/ (if you buy the board only option from the lift website it already includes an esc as well…) you can make the board yourself as well with materials mostly from Home Depot …
If you have ever worked with composite materials before (carbon fiber .fiberglass,etc…)it shouldn’t be a big deal to do…
It all depends on your skills and how much of a diy person you are

1 Like

Most of the Lift and Flying Rodeo parts are compatible with eachother but it’s definitely cheaper if you build them yourself…
It depends on your budget…

1 Like

I agree with @Efoil_hu, look into other options as well…
If you decide to make the board and other stuff yourself i would highly recommend the Easycomposites youtube chanel they’ve got a bunch of information regarding composite parts making and stuff

1 Like

Ok, I’ll keep looking around. Do you know of any guides for building parts, or would you recommend I find individual guides for each part that I would want to make? Thank you for all the help, this has been really eye-opening for me.

I’ll check out their channel. If I were to make a board, where should I look to find specifications for size, and the other things it would need? It would have to have a compartment for the battery, and a way to mount the foil, are there any guides you know of? Thank you for your input, it has been really helpful.

For board specifications i would look around on the forum and ask people about their boards and if it worked out for them the way they would have liked it to.You can check on google if you can find info about Lift and FR boards there may be someone who measured it or created a cad file of it…
You can check specifications of SUP boards as well they are kind of similar…
I don’t know of any guides look around on the forum you may find something but in my opinion the best way is to either cnc a board blank with the compartment or make the blank by hand and use a router/chisel +sandpaper to make a compartment…
For the hinge and locks check out the gemlux website, they’ve got everything you need … I would personally stay away from the pelican case strapped onto the board it’s ugly and it’s in the way /makes the board harder to use due to the extra weight in the front.
For mounting the mast maybe you can find something on the gong website if not browse the forum a bit people got pretty creative solutions on here. :slight_smile:
Or you can come up with your own unique solution… That’s the best part of building your own efoil ,you can be as creative as you like :yum:

1 Like

People are posting their builds here on the forum some of them have a very extensive description of how every part is made, look around on the forum ,you will find them mainly under the builds category.Finding individual guides is possibile and i vould recommend doing it (comparing a few to see which method and finished part suits you the best. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Both of you, thank you so much for the help. This has really set me on the right track for making an efoil, and has really helped me see the magnitude of this sort of project. Thank you again, and have a nice day.