Lockdown Build - Wales

I take it that’s not doable via the android Vesc app?.

maybe , but you want a backup connection to turn it back on if you cannot use vesctool via metr at module after … better to have the usb

Hey Wardy, no pressure but did you happen to make that picture? :wink:

Yes mate, sorry

I’ve got a 2mm piece of silicone rubber then I bolted it to the board and poured Mold Star 30 in there.

I don’t know why he doesn’t sell them with the seal on already, everyone is going to need one so just add 10 quid or whatever it is to the sale price. Daft. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Did you machine a metal plate for the mast mount to the board?

Cool thanks very much! I had a 3d printed plate in mind (covered in epoxy) and than some regular cable glands, but this is much nicer.

You mentioned you had some water in the compartment. How did you seal the bolt connection? Looking from this side (and not know your sealing there) there might be some water creeping up the bolts as well?

I used a 12mm piece of aluminium plate and just used a cordless drill and a hole saw and threaded the aluminium with stainless steel helicoil’s.

The bolts for the mast clamp don’t go all the way through the board, there’s only 12mm of thread there so there’s no way the water could come up through the bolts. I’m hoping the new latches won’t leak and will compress better and that will sort it. :crossed_fingers:

Really need to extend the signal range of the remote though

1 Like

Paper test for the hatch :

Put paper strip around the hatch on the seal , you close it and try to pull the paper strip

Then you do the same with you on it in foil position ( just in case the hatch lift somewhere when weight is applied)

2 Likes

Great tip :+1: I’ll give that a try in the morning, thanks!

Food for thought:

Plate with seal 190212

Are there any Smooth-on Mold Star 30 alternatives ? Yes.
It should be possible to make this one piece seal plus an extruded one-piece electric hatch seal at 3:48 using the following method, a formula using silicone calking, corn starch and food colors: a treat for 8+yo children during this lock-down period…

3 Likes

How far is the center of your mast from the back of your board?

It’s 320mm from the back to the centre of the mast. The board dimensions are 146 x 62 x 12 cm

Weights:

Board with electrical box : 10kg
Battery: 13.5kg
Mast & motor: 5kg

Total: 28.5kg

Which seems really heavy to me or is that about normal?
If I was to go through my build and change a few parts to reduce weight I think the max I could save would be 4 possibly 5 kg.

I would be very impressed if you could shave off 4-5 kg of your build with that configuration.

Your battery cells alone is just under 9 kg so you may be able to take of some weight from all around the battery, but your box is already carbon.

If you had used resin infusion you could save some weight on the board and the carbon boxes as you would have used less resin.

If your entire foil with motor is 5kg I don’t see much chance getting that much lower.

I went for the robust approach so I didn’t think to much about the weight till it was complete and had to carry the thing to the water.

The aluminium top and bottom of the battery box weighs over 1.5kg so could switch to CF. The resin I poured in box weighed around 750g which I didn’t need to really do.

The 12mm aluminium plate and strengthening bars were over 1.5kg and could of been CF. Given it was my first time using CF I played it safe using aluminium.

The hatch is plywood with 3 layers of 650g and 2 of 200g CF which could have been foam without the 650. Saving a further 1.5kg.

When you’re up riding the weight isn’t an issue it’s just getting it to the water. Where I live it can be half a mile to the water on low tide so it can get heavy :tired_face:.
If I was to build another board I would make a more conscious effort on weight but for now I’ll stick to high tide.

Or you buy a trolley and a one-wheel :grin:
eFoil tport onewheel

1 Like

Ha nice idea, if I used a wheelbarrow some bugger would nick that, let alone a one wheel.

1 Like

Nice build. Is your compartment water tight, and if it is, is it solid carbon?
Thanks, CharlieI am looking to modify my lid. Leaks too much.

Thanks airchair, the hatch itself seems pretty solid and doesn’t leak. However the latches are the weak link that let water in.
As they aren’t compression, they are the opposite actually as when you close them down the become looser. I Had to file them down a little to combat this but they are still rubbish.

I’m waiting on some new latches to arrive so hopefully they will make the hatch watertight :crossed_fingers:

Thanks. My compartment is all aluminum. I like working with aluminum and it makes a nice heat sink. Decided to scrap the lid and will be making one out of alumicore which is hollow and rigid. At least, that is the plan.

1 Like