Flipsky or Maytech. What to go with?

Dear builders,

could you please give your opinion regarding full set for efoil build.
From Maytech I’m looking for this option:

From Flipsky this is the option:
https://flipsky.net/collections/electronic-products/products/seal-300a-60v-esc-for-surfboard-e-foiler-board?spm=a2700.12243863.0.0.1a723e5fbrnFEY

So, the question that I don’t have really good experience at electronic components, so for me is best to have full ready to go kit.

For Flipsky remote will not be waterproof, so plastic bag must be used.

I hope you can give your opinion with some facts that will support it.

1 Like

Because i’m new user, I can put only 2 links in one message. So the rest parts that are from Flipsky company:

You want ready to go kit ? Go for Flying Rodeo’s motor system for 1700€ + what ever ESC you feel confident with.

1 Like

Don’t buy from Maytech. Most of the stuff they sell is just rebranded items from other manufacturers, then they charge you more.

Their remote is the best option on the market right now but the quality control is poor and I would say it is not waterproof, so make sure to inspect and waterproof it before getting it wet.

The motor and speed control and everything else is available from other manufacturers for less.

I agree. If you want a drive unit that is ready to go just buy the Flying Rodeo system.

If you wanna DIY yours, expect to have some failures and a 3-6 month build time. That’s been my experience. :rofl:

:call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I didn’t understand what is included in Flying Rodeo kit exept motor? Does it has ESC and remote and everything apart from batteries? Because I thought there is system like Maytech that you can just install on hydrofoil, connect all outlets together and connect to battery pack without any problem start riding. But from what you say I understand that it is not that easy.

Maytech sell it as a kit and pretend you can just connect it. But in reality their system is not like that.
Their remote leaks and needs extra waterproofing. Their motor shaft hugely limits which props you can use, currently you are limited to the bad one that ships with the system.

In reality it would be way better and cheaper to buy the components individually from the following:
Motor: flipsky 65161 120kv
ESC: flipsky seal 300A
Remote: maytech (and then open it and make sure it’s properly waterproof)
Prop: flying rodeo for 65161

3 Likes

Really thank you for your oppinion. Is it difficult to program ESC? And s there full instruction how to do it from start to end for stupids like me? )))

The ESC should come matched to the motor and should just work if both come from flipsky.
There is also a programming box for them and enough knowledge here to make the programming easy of you need to.

I decide to build a second configuration with a flipspky 65161 wi the my existing Flier Boat 400 ESC. I hope it works…

No it won’t work. About 5 or so people have tried and all had issues with the ESC, some have even destroyed the motor. It’s much better and cheaper to just get the seal 300a ESC from flipsky and then everything works properly.

really? but I read that some have success now with that configuration? :thinking:

Or wich VESC works perfect with this motor?

The ZTW Seal 300A (continuous) sold by Flipsky, ReacherTech and Maytech for their 65150 motor seems to be tailored for the job (300A cont, 1000A burst, true 14s, true 8#AWG wires to battery AND motor, automatic motor timing in default mode, 289usd …Without the comfort of the VESC tools. and not so many feedbacks with the 65161 motor at the moment though:
[Edit: @virus and @MikeL here are successfully using this 300A rebranded version by Maytech in a waterproof case]

Similar in price with 269usd on flipsky.net [Edit: or 190usd via Banggood] , Flipsky also highlights its 200A VESC6 (1) tested by Volker (800A burst - 12s max voltage (Credit @Flightjunkie)) product frequently mentioned on this forum since May 2019. Not many feedback either with the 65161 motor.
(1) some doubts about the 200A cont current : New 200A Vesc based Flipsky ESC - #3 by tylerclark - Electronics (ESC, remote, batteries) - FOIL.zone.
but eventually tested at 180A continuous motor current by Volker with a 80100 motor
Volker’s Build - 80100 18650-30Q - #117 by V_S - Builds - FOIL.zone

https://flipsky.net/collections/efoil-products/products/high-current-fsesc-200a-60v-base-on-vesc6

If you already have the flier ESC is would say try it with the new firmware. Mine works perfectly. I can’t explain why others are still having problems. Maybe because my battery is 14s it works for me.

But, I agree with @Jezza that you shouldn’t buy the flier ESC for this motor when the opto seal 300amp is designed for it. But, I wouldn’t go as far as to say the flier ESC will destroy your motor. We don’t know yet if @Jsonnett 's motor is damaged or not.

The flier 400a ESC works well with my Flipsky 65161 120kv motor on the new “BuartLowKvMotor” firmware.

I emailed them asking if that VESC would work with 14s. And they said no. I think they have had too many fry.

Hi,

actually i tested the FSESC 200A from Flipsky with 100kv motor. In air w/o prop. Worked fine so far:

Cant wait to test with load. Still I am concerned about the corrosionx discussion wehter to fill or not.

Regards,
Jan

1 Like

Hi Jan,

Mind sharing your electrical parameters with other members using the Flier ESC ? like timing …

Hi,

sorry for confusion, but i don not use flier esc. i use following:

https://flipsky.net/collections/electronic-products/products/high-current-fsesc-200a-60v-base-on-vesc6

Yeah, I mean I got this :slight_smile:

I ordered same esc, but other members are strugling to run this motor on Flier ESC, maybe they can try your parameters on their esc (like the timing) and see if it can work ?

Oh sure. let me check the values in the next days! Are VESC and ESC parameters comparable?

1 Like