Drop In Battery and Electronics Box Design

Ahoy everyone. I have been going with this drop in, pelican case style approach for my battery and electronics box. Similar to how the great Pacific Meister has set up his board. I have been through a few different versions of electronics and layouts so far but this is the latest and greatest. I designed this 3d printed chassis to keep all of the components and wiring organized, off the bottom of the box in case of leaks, and keep the battery monitor screen supported so that it can be seen through a window in the top of the box. I also wanted to stick with the closed loop cooling system I have been running and so incorporated a small water tank into the design with two heat exchangers mounted to the outside of the box. With this design, the batteries and all electronics can be carried separately from the board suitcase style and only the three motor connections need to hooked up using external connectors so you never have to fiddle with the wire seals on the box and risk a leak.

There have been lots of great plans on here for motor setups but so far, but the electronics layout has been a bit of a free for all. Hopefully, others who are undertaking a moderate budget build with access to a printer will find this handy. I hope to post the downloadable design of this once I have a few final tweaks made and will share the part files in case you want to make your own tweaks. I will also post a complete parts list with purchasing links (most from amazon) and also try and draw up a wiring diagram for everything to try and make this as complete of a build guide as possible.

Uses:
Flier 400 ESC
Maytech waterproof remote
Harbor freight apache case
2X Turnigy 20000mah 6s
Turnigy SBEC
Hall effect style amp meter and battery monitor (ive burnt up two of the shunt style ones…)
Cheap amazon temperature gages

6 Likes

It’s very clean and well done.

nice work in that case;-)

How are those batteries holding up? I’ve got a pair of the blue ones rated 12-24C that have swolen a little bit. Research here and elsewhere tells me those ratings are way off. Likely more like 4C. Which might explain their short life and use during the early stages when I was running things really inefficiently.

So far so good. They did puff up a little but seems to have stopped. The first time i really ran them they got to around 110F pretty warm to the touch. Now for some reason when I run them even harder and for a longer time they only get to about 80F. I did swap out the XT90 connectors for XT 150’s