DIY full carbon mast & blue carbon fiber wings from 3d printed molds ! (free for efoil builders)

The rule is “everything works but what has been produced works better” eg the RL front wing.
Tips down is called anhedral. a height of 3% of wing span gives comfort and manoeuvrability.
The more flat, the less wetted surface, the highest projected surface often used with short chords and thin airfoil sections to go straight and fast but still manoeuvrable.

1 Like

Thanks SoEfoil! That’s the wing I have designed so far with the dimension you asked (sorry I was delayed…)

3 Likes

we should make standard dimensions to attach the wing to the fuselage. What would be a good dimension for your fuselage (length and width) ?

Just bought your courses, looking forward for messing with resin. Will have some help, there is a guy here who builds 1:4 scale airplanes, lot of vacuum bagging and gF and cF…Do i need that complex mast and fuselage ? Or i just Mount the wings on aluminum fuselage or mast… Success on your project !

Hi Tigeriki! You don’t have to make the fuselage, you can make the rear wing first and I will make the front wings molds available with a “standard” mount. Could you tell me the dimensions of your fuselage ? Also is there a wing an stabilizer design you prefer ?

I really do not know yet, i was looking to the Gong Allvator Pro L (i think). I am looking for a beginner stable stuff about 65-70cm mast… I just bought the Flipsky 100KV motor (similar to Louis’s build : Flipsky 100kv flier esc Holland build - Builds - FOIL.zone ) with the same prop… Hopefully Banggood delivers with virus or not…( The mast looks a little intimidating for me)

It’s fine, you will gain more confidence when making parts. Start with the smallest and easiest first. Then you will see it’s the same thing every time, it’s just harder because of the size and the amount of material you use (layers of cloth, filler, etc). If you want to save money for the mast you could buy it from china (it seems to work fine from previous posts).

Started printing

1 Like

Nice! I recommend you to print each part with it’s opposite like this

It helps making the final assembled part more accurate. Because sometimes when you remove a print from the plate, etc., you move the plate and the height isn’t perfectly the same as the previous print. But here it should be fine.

Will do for the next two… I’d like to make a more conservative mast… I’m not sure that the prop would fit over the fuselage … The mold is kinda empty with 5% fill… I did not read the books yet…

Most people use way to much infill, I use 5% infill and only 2 layers (top, bottom, and walls) for every single print. But it is the minimum (lower and the part will be too weak). For small parts like this it’s fine, for larger parts it’s ok but you have to make sure the print is perfect (no under extrusion, missing layers, etc). Otherwise the mold may break during the vacuum bagging process. The prop will fit for sure, unless you use something too large (there is 10 cm from the fuselage to the center line of the motor so it’s up to 19-20 cm diameter prop).

I will try to make a more simple mast. Which part do you think is the most intimidating (in the current model) ? So I can change it in the next model.

Most of the wings i saw from Gong or others are more simple. Maybe the fuselage is streamlined a little bit…And i might prefer adjustable motor support (not sure)

You mean change the position of the motor on the mast ? Gong (or others) make the mast, fuselage and plate separately (because it’s needed for most foilers). I can make each parts separately, you will have to make the holes in the mast to attach the plate and the fuselage.

Yes, something like that. Will investigate during this weekend, and also take the molds to the, “fiber” guy…He makes the wings,of the,airplane similar.

Ok then I will show you a design and you tell me if it’s fine for you.

Also just bought your course and started printing the rear wing with the advice you gave on faces the molds towards each other. Will definitely leave a glowing review and share it once i finish my build! A couple of questions though:

• I’d love to do a foil similar to the Unifoil 170, using the E817 profile, but after a lot of time and trouble, I’m still struggling to be able to design it in fusion 360. Would it be possible to get a mold made for a high aspect foil like that one? (It would have to be really long and slender, but that’s perfect for carbon fiber)

• if we’ve already bought the course, is there a way to still get the new files you’re making for different foil designs etc…? Like would it be possible to make it so that once you’ve bought the course you can just use a username and password to access a page where all the designs and videos are available rather than it just being a file that you download with everything?

• would you consider doing a couple variants of the mast for the most common motors? (Flipsky 65151, SSS 56104, etc…). I haven’t measured the motor mount on the mast yet, but Im planning on using the Flipsky 65151 120kv motor

1 Like

Sure I can help you with that. You told me you need a very large wing something like 90 cm in length right ? Of course each time I update something I will send an email to everyone with the new files etc. to attach the motor to the mast we will need to 3d print 2 parts (like a waterproof connector box) I will upload it for each motor size

1 Like

Yeah, about 90cm by 14cm should work. Thanks for putting all of this together!

Du not forget to mirror !

1 Like

it will be a little longer than 90cm because of the size of the fuselage (to have the same lift as a “normal” 90cm wing) and a 14cm chord line. I used the E817 profile.

Here is how the mold look like

You will need to use support while printing (but not for every parts)