DIY full carbon mast & blue carbon fiber wings from 3d printed molds ! (free for efoil builders)

Will do for the next two… I’d like to make a more conservative mast… I’m not sure that the prop would fit over the fuselage … The mold is kinda empty with 5% fill… I did not read the books yet…

Most people use way to much infill, I use 5% infill and only 2 layers (top, bottom, and walls) for every single print. But it is the minimum (lower and the part will be too weak). For small parts like this it’s fine, for larger parts it’s ok but you have to make sure the print is perfect (no under extrusion, missing layers, etc). Otherwise the mold may break during the vacuum bagging process. The prop will fit for sure, unless you use something too large (there is 10 cm from the fuselage to the center line of the motor so it’s up to 19-20 cm diameter prop).

I will try to make a more simple mast. Which part do you think is the most intimidating (in the current model) ? So I can change it in the next model.

Most of the wings i saw from Gong or others are more simple. Maybe the fuselage is streamlined a little bit…And i might prefer adjustable motor support (not sure)

You mean change the position of the motor on the mast ? Gong (or others) make the mast, fuselage and plate separately (because it’s needed for most foilers). I can make each parts separately, you will have to make the holes in the mast to attach the plate and the fuselage.

Yes, something like that. Will investigate during this weekend, and also take the molds to the, “fiber” guy…He makes the wings,of the,airplane similar.

Ok then I will show you a design and you tell me if it’s fine for you.

Also just bought your course and started printing the rear wing with the advice you gave on faces the molds towards each other. Will definitely leave a glowing review and share it once i finish my build! A couple of questions though:

• I’d love to do a foil similar to the Unifoil 170, using the E817 profile, but after a lot of time and trouble, I’m still struggling to be able to design it in fusion 360. Would it be possible to get a mold made for a high aspect foil like that one? (It would have to be really long and slender, but that’s perfect for carbon fiber)

• if we’ve already bought the course, is there a way to still get the new files you’re making for different foil designs etc…? Like would it be possible to make it so that once you’ve bought the course you can just use a username and password to access a page where all the designs and videos are available rather than it just being a file that you download with everything?

• would you consider doing a couple variants of the mast for the most common motors? (Flipsky 65151, SSS 56104, etc…). I haven’t measured the motor mount on the mast yet, but Im planning on using the Flipsky 65151 120kv motor

1 Like

Sure I can help you with that. You told me you need a very large wing something like 90 cm in length right ? Of course each time I update something I will send an email to everyone with the new files etc. to attach the motor to the mast we will need to 3d print 2 parts (like a waterproof connector box) I will upload it for each motor size

1 Like

Yeah, about 90cm by 14cm should work. Thanks for putting all of this together!

Du not forget to mirror !

1 Like

it will be a little longer than 90cm because of the size of the fuselage (to have the same lift as a “normal” 90cm wing) and a 14cm chord line. I used the E817 profile.

Here is how the mold look like

You will need to use support while printing (but not for every parts)

I will check few things and upload the file this week end. I will also upload the files to make a mold for the duct.

I have updated the files, you will find the mold in the wing folder. It’s made for the monolithic fuselage, but if you need one for a standard fuselage I will make one.

It should be easy to print, you will need to add supports. Same thing as any other parts, you should print each part with it’s opposite side. And of course don’t forget to mirror!

1 Like

I have also added the mold for the duct. It works fine, make sure you control the exothermic reaction during casting (don’t pour at once a fast curing casting resin or it will soften the plastic too much, unless use use poly-carbonate of something like that)
When using the clamps make sure you apply pressure only on the edges to avoid deforming the mold if it gets too hot (like in the picture below)

Demolding is easy for most parts, but 4 parts of the mold are not as easy. Because of the geometry of the mold (I couldn’t find an easier way to do it without increasing the number of parts).

I used symmetrical NACA air foils as thin as possible. The final part is strong and tough. All that is left to do is sand a little bit, add the holes to attach for your motor and paint it !

2 Likes

2 Likes

What material did you use for that duct ?
Oh man I like so much the idea behind we can make everything @home !

Thanks! I used the xencast p6 polyurethane. yeah we can make almost any parts we want with a good quality and a small price. It will be easier to make the propeller than the duct. Once I have a design I like I will upload it too.

3 Likes

hi, I bought your course ‘‘efoil’’, I am glad that you created it! :call_me_hand:
A few questions:
1 - whether to buy the beginner course if I just want to make efoil ?
2 - the rear wing is located below the front wing, why ? you already used it on the water ?
3 - how you create a vacuum?
4- I downloaded the file today, does it already have a larger front wing?

Hi DimaVeter,

Thanks i’m happy you like it!

1- The beginner course is for people who want to learn how to make any 3d printed mold reusable, learn a simple and cheap way to make a vacuum bagging system and how to make composite parts from the 3d printed molds.
Then everybody is free to make their own design if they want. For people who can’t make their own design or just prefer to download my design and see how I make the parts, I made it available in my website. So because you don’t know how to make 3d molds and how to create a vacuum, you will need the beginner and the efoil course.

2 - It’s a better design, the center line of the motor is much closer to the center line of the front wing (so no downward momentum from the motor during acceleration) Also you have the full length of the mast. I didn’t have a chance to use it yet. I have tested the strength of each part and it’s ok (it depends how you will build your parts too!). And the wings are made from NACA profiles with predictable behavior.

3 - Every details are in the beginner course (material list with links, how to make the vacuum system in video, etc.)

4 - There should be 2 front wings available, one of 76 cm wingspan (delta shape, surface area of 1530 cm²) and the other one of 96 cm wingspan (high aspect ratio, surface area 1046 cm²).
I’m working on another wing : 92cm wingspan and 1800-2000 cm² for people who need a wing really large.

1 Like

Hello
by buying a course I have access to the download of all the files?
what size printer do i need to make all the parts?
Thank you