Boards for eFoil

hello, I need some help. Can someone tell me where to get foil with holes for cables inside, and where do i get part to mount motor to foil (i have 3d printer)foil

You case Liquid Force, Moses or Slingshotmastsā€¦ They all have holes insideā€¦

@kiterr renda.lehman@icloud.com
Has mast with holes for DIY

I have mast for efoil for 30ā‚¬

Nice input. Thank you
Is it mandatory to put fiberglass on the board for the first rides?
I mean if I manufacture a board and it is working I willā€¦ But I am not sure it will and moreover I do not know how to do it.
I do not want to invest too much time and money before seeing some results

Iā€™ve watched YT vid where a wingfoiler rides a home-made XPS blank foam that has no fiber, just cut with a hot wire with 4 holes with tubes for the mast plate
It lasts while it lasts: 20-30 rides.
You might like the following type of project:

You can get a 5ā€™5 or 5ā€™11 inflatable version brand new for 300ā‚¬ if you live in EU or 250ā‚¬ exVat if you live outside EU here:

2 Likes

@Cid156: I wouldnā€™t want to glass a board that was ridden. Both EPS and XPS take up a lot of water and would take forever to dry completely and water presence during curing inhibits the correct hardening of epoxy.

Even though a nice looking board is nice the board shape is the least critical in an efoil build, canā€™t really go wrong if board is only big enough to start on. You lie on it for 5 sec while accelerating, get up and then itā€™s simply a base to stand on so it could be almost any shape. Then if you donā€™t like the shape, reshape it. I have cut and modified my board 5 times since i built it so just have fun with it!

2 Likes

My dad and I are looking into building an efoil board like how a soft top surfboard (same construction as a good bodyboard) are made.

It will basically be a deck and rails (EVA or PE), a core (XPS) with some stringers (carbon / wood) and the slick (HDPS).
The box with all needed electronica will be sandwiched between the stringers. Same with the mast connection plate.

What will be the main thing youā€™re aiming for with the board?

For us (actualy my dad) it will be experimenting.

We now have build a (jet) board from carbon, a DIY inflatable efoil, and an almost done efoil from aramide!

My dad loves to build things, and I can test them :slight_smile:

In fact his 150usd XPS board doesnā€™t take water on at all :star_struck:

150x65x12cm (110 litres) made up of 4 XPS planks

imageimage

Look at any manufacturer specs of XPS, itā€™s between 0.7-5% long term water absorption depending on what class the XPS reaches, a lot less than EPS of course - itā€™s not like it will turn into a wet blanket but enough to increase epoxy cure problems.

Hereā€™s some rough data "Effects of moisture on the properties of epoxies and carbon-epoxy comp" by Nathan Sharp

ā€Shear strength is reduced in both water conditions with 0.5% absorption of water causing a reduction in shear strength of 20% and 2% absorption of water causing a reduction in shear strength of 40%ā€

Itā€™s clear that the dissertation is referring to epoxy water absorption of 0.5% and not an XPS absorption value, my point is that epoxy is highly sensitive to moisture while curing.

Sites live :call_me_hand:

Iā€™m going to see what cutting and sanding the foam looks like firstā€¦ If Iā€™m happy with the result, Iā€™ll add fiberglass.
Another question, I see that most of the boards are about 75cm wide and since I can only find 1250x600, I wonder if having a 600mm board is a problem. I am planning to use wood around the opening for the battery box to renforce the board
I made a quick sketch. The board below is 115l 1550x600x160 probably with multiple layers.
For esurf and efoil

Do you use XPS foam or standard EPS foam? As Iā€™ve seen, most surfboards are made of EPS foam, so it should be fineā€¦ But EPS needs to be covered with fibers because it is very fragileā€¦ I would prefer to work with EPP but the budget is not the same.
For the glue I will use UHU because it is a very good glue for foam. I used it aa lot for the flying wings and in a 600gr pot itā€™s not so expensive (less than 20euro)

To me a 750 mm wide board is like an elephant if youā€™re efoiling. My board is 570mm and thatā€™s enough width for me being 100kg. Therefore i donā€™t see the reason to go with a super wide board, at least with a 6516x motor - with a smaller motor like a 6384 i guess a higher float board could have a benefit in requiring less power to accelerate.

My board is made out of XPS since a cut in the outer shell then wonā€™t be a problem given the low water absorption. I already used this advantage a few timesšŸ˜€

I didnā€™t see any contact info on your website. Some questions that I have are:

1. What are the dimensions of the board?
  2. What are the approximate costs to ship within the US? Is local pickup available?
  3. Iā€™m assuming the boards have been water tested? What type of seals are being used?

Thanks! -Marc

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the inquiry. :grinning:

I added specification and lid details on the website, please have another look. Cost to ship is around $300. Iā€™m in Seattle and can meet locally.

Thanks,
Bryce

Thanks for adding that info. The board dimensions are exactly what Iā€™m looking for!

Awesome! Favor - can you please send me an email at bryce@carbonorca.com and weā€™ll discuss any customization you might require? Weā€™re going through final configuration this week and youā€™ll have a few decisions like EVA foam color (black or white) and board color (aesthetic carbon or white gelcoat).

Thanks,
Bryce

How much do the boards weigh?