here for the shaft , fast shipping , good price, but it s hard steel 12.9 (same as the gearbox bolt) , not easy to drill
working on the box, i will try passive cooling with a heat sink outside, silicone up everything and will go like that for the first test…
Jake's Direct Drive build, NSW, Australia - Success!
Very nice & clean @Alexandre. An all-in-one-box setup worked fine for me too for short rides. Probably much better with your external heat sink. Good luck with the first test.
thank you ! yes for the first test on an inflatable board, then if i get good result i will build my own board much smaller…
Looks good! I planned to do pretty much the same thing
have to wait 3 weeks to get the last parts printed (sls), not perfect design but good enough for me
nice fit , try some painting silver but will be black i guess
test fit ok, finishing the shaft, drill mast, wiring… and hopefully in the water in 15 days …
55mm all the way, can be shorter by 80mm but it will wait next year…
mast drill… not that hard finally, smooth edge out and inside (will cut the silicone otherwise), drill “sideway” so the wires won’t bend too much, water outlet for next year
I am going to use the exact same setup like you. I like the very sleek form factor. Your printed files are looking very good. Are you willing to share those?
Hi @Alexandre, really neat build you have there.
I’m specifically interested in two aspects:
- The cooling fins you installed for your batteries. Can you share the source of that? Did you already waterproofed it?
- I like the way your tube connects to the back mast clamp. Specifically the fact that the tube surrounds the print (and not vice versa). Are you planning to glue the tube? Did you consider installing o-rings there as well? Also, as MAJA asked, it will be great if you share the design.
Thanks in advance,
well thank you!
i have no printer (no prototype done), no knowlege in cad design, i just use tinkercad to do this, i will try to post the link, the design was made for sls pa12, i am not sure that PLA will be strong enough for the front mast part…
the parts were printed by sculpteo for about 200€ so i am very happy that my design worked!
-the front mast is nice , no aero test done , i just made it to look nice
-the back mast has not a perfect fit around the mast because i didn’t know how to do it , i will had a fin layer of silicone, but o-ring and a motor plug holder will be added later on
on the back for the gearbox there is not enough space to put a o-ring
the heatsink is for esc cooling, not for the battery, not tested yet, i will see if the battery get warm or not, the big aluminium plate is already sealed to the box , didn’t test underwater yet
put the files in public, links:
hold by 4 screws M4x40mm
gearbox i have to look for it
I need your help : I just got a sup redwood , it is 243cm long , where do you think I should put the mast ? I was thinking : the middle of the mast at 65cm from the rear …
the board is 8’ so it sould be 20" (51cm) from the rear or 59cm in the middle of the mast , since the battery box will be in front, somewhere between 60-65cm ?
looking at pics from takuma or redwood foil board the middle of the us boxes are about there
5 months later… finally ready:
gear with cooling tube and THIS SHAFT (made 10 to get what i wanted), may be change the bolt by a clip:
glue the shaft with loctite 243 normal
got an idea for waterproofing the cable and keep them moving when taking a part:
plate+ rubber seal+ filled with marine grease in between inside the mount : what do you think ?
well this might be the solution, did some test today , put the tube under vaccum in water: got just one leak around one wire with the facom grease (light)
stick with this version: grease and tape , run very smooth
weight : 1807gr
in air : 100w
in water: hard to say, measured around 600w at 60% i cannot hold it , it push very hard i am not worried about thrust
and about 10% rpm drop
i am very suprised about the number , i had to put a wattmeter to double check esc recording, rpm is there, thrust too, not to many amp… will see on water
with the rocker … put the middle at 60cm from the back, mounting plate to finish and a couple more things, some vacation and first water test in 3 weeks…
I am French and I am currently building an e-foil with a Takuma also, I would like to see your opinion on the front wing because I find it too heavy (3kg), so I’m trying to model it to reduce its weight at least half if someone is interressed I share it on the forum!