Propulsion System - Motors, Gears, etc

yes it’s a Neugart PLE40 5:1

Do you have any tips for opening the neugart, remove grease and how much to put in of this high performance stuff?

Yes you need to heat the screws because There is a loctite on the thread
Take care with the 4 gearing, the Rolls in the center removed easily
And put grease like my picture not too much

1 Like

Last week bought a Neugart 5:1 reduction drive on ebay but the seller just email he only got a 3:1 ratio not a 5:1. Can anyone advise me on if this will work or will it struggle for low end torque…Using a 500kv SSS motor.
Any advise would be appreciated.

First of all, thanks for this forum, been doing a lot of reading and quite excited about the possibilities.

As someone who is just starting out and accumulating parts, what would the current advice be?
-start with 500kV SSS motor or (?360kV) and the Neugart PLE40 5:1
-or wait a month or two for a ?direct drive option to become more apparent

We keep finding better and better parts and ways to do things and direct drive with the new VeFoil Motors it could get really simple and affordable. Things are changing rapidly and you would be much further ahead and save a lot of time and money to wait 1-2 months before picking a direction and all the parts to use.

4 Likes

Any tips on high performance grease and where to get fast? jeffM mention NSK AS2 but it seems quite expensive.
Are there other places to lubricate like seals, bearings?

surely this couldnt be 30kg of thrust? any info or ideas?

1 Like

there is also an 86lb or 40kg 24volt model available. just watched some youtube videos and the 86lb motor can push a 3.2 meter inflatable boat with 2 people and a dog at 6-7mph

Hi David, hi all.
Be careful to look at the thrust value. Is important value but in our case is not the only one to look at.
with some approximation, the thrust value is SIMILAR to the torque value of a bike/car: high torque doesn’t mean high speed (think about the tractor).
The motors that you consider have high thrust, but they have the max speed pretty similar in the case you mount it on a 4m boat or if you put it on a kayak (or a surfboard).
this because they are born for this reason, garantee a max speed almost identical for different use.
(if you put a truck engine on a sport car that weight 1/200 without change gear, wheel ecc ecc, the torque and the max speed will be the same…)
But if you change the prop on this motor probably the thinks can change…

4 Likes

yeah the props look pretty simple, maybe a printed version with more surface area

sounds like a variable pitch would be ideal, imagine activity changing pitch depending on amp draw, and speed through gps, could get bizy in the box of tricks :wink:

1 Like

Has anyone looked into these gearboxed Here. They seem to have allow for a much higher input speed and transferable power. They are aimed towards the RC world but might have some mounting issues with the SSS motors.

Looks like Ignacio (aka Virus) is using a Reisenauer gearbox like this,see here: https://youtu.be/WkkeRuz0fGA

1 Like

Thanks that’s where I was first introduced to that gearbox, i wonder how it’s working out for him.

I came across these motors earlier and they have some 60mm in-runner motors that could be wound to be ~76KV in a star configuration. Only downside is the price if that is true

His carbon fiber skills are amazing! I remember one of his latest videos shows him stripping a gearbox?

Also @pacificmeister what are your thoughts on the PLPE 50 planetary gearbox from Newgart .

50mm diameter so 8mm of mounting to play with! Not much but possible.

Output radial and axial shafting loafing is 700-1000N

Input speed max 18000rpm

Cheers, David .

@pacificmeister I also did some research on the torqueedo outboards and they run 1300rpm max with a suitable prop. For that reason wouldn’t the sss360kv @48volts be more suited to a 1:12 ratio gearbox to achieve around 1300? You could then “copy” there prop design .

Cheers, David.

Hi David, yes I think the PLPE50 will work too. Mounting can be figured out. Not sure you want to go that low rpm. I read somewhere that the 5:1 and 4:1 ratios have the highest torque ratings, lower and higher is sub-optimal because either the pineon or planets are getting too small. With a 12:1 you may even need a 2 stage planetary gear and I’d stay away from that.

yeah I thought that low wouldnt be optimal but the torqueedo cruise 4.0 max out at 1300rpm.