Propulsion System - Motors, Gears, etc

@Gobbla
I just noticed the cheaper one I found only has a max input speed of 6000RPM, so it wouldnt be any good.

hi everyone,
i am also one the way to build an efoil.
At the moment i order all the parts which i need to reproduce pazifikmeisters build.
I have a question concerning the neugart.
Is this the same ple 40 what pazifikmeisters used (see link below)?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Neugart-Ple-40-Gearhead-Reducer-5-1-Ratio/1443696672?iid=162660765264&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49009%26meid%3D66acfcd27e5d440e898a7d4bba4eb9aa%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D251343315130&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Same gearbox and same eBay seller where I got mine from for $20 more. However this offer doesn’t include the coupling, the input pinion with the motor shaft coupling. Maybe you can find that piece somewhere else. Good luck with your build!

Hey Guys,

has anyone looked at or bought one of these from ali express.

1000watt producing 25kg of thrust is surely chinese fake magic!

cheers, DavidC

1 Like

There is a small problem, $ 189.5 is the price of the controller, and the motor itself costs $ 1409.52 a little expensive for the experiment? Given that this is an unknown Chinese device…

1 Like

@pacificmeister first of all, thank you for this great project.

Do you have a picture for me how the motor shaft coupling should look like. I think when i have the neugart in front of me it will be more clear.
Do you also bought the coupling separately?

@overdrive - It looks like this. A shaft coupler, short shaft and pineon at end that moves the planets. Mine had it, usually they are sold with it. Check with Neugart if they sell you one separately.
IMG_0827

1 Like

I bought this part directly at Neugart Germany in july, 120€ and 2 weeks for the delivery.
But take care you need to remove the grease (I used NSK AS2) and you need to tapping 4 holes.

1 Like

if you want the complete part it’s 4 to 5 months for the delivery 180 € / 200 €
(I bought also in july and I just received it last week)

1 Like

This is crazy, 120 for the coupler…
I already wrote an email to neugart. Lets see what they say.
Maybe i find e complete Neugart for a good price and have then one as spare.

1 Like

Or i find the right gear for the input.

https://www.ebay.de/b/Industrie-Zahnrader-Zahnstangen/181773/bn_16578351

But for this i need to know the specs from the original gear. But on your picture the input gear from the coupler looks like a “standart” gear.

What i see on the picture it has 21 tooth. The tooth look straight.
I also need to know the outer diameter an a few other dimensions.

Maybe you can measure

de
dp
D1

1 Like

I talked to them a little while ago and this is what Neugart rep had to say below. I thought id post it here just in case anyone was interested. the the product code if for a 3:1 reduction gearbox. Its a huge amount of time to wait tho lol :sweat_smile:

Thank you for your interest in our products.

We can offer you the gearbox with following conditions:

Product code: PLE040-003-SSSA3AA-T8
ArtNo: 100274388

Price: 204 € / pcs. For 1-2 pieces
174 € / pcs. For 3-4 pieces

Delivery time: 14 weeks after receipt of order.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any additional information.

1 Like

What is the reason to replace grease, is it because of the high rpm? How much of this grease do you apply?

1 Like

because it’s a old gearbox and Neugart put a “standard grease” it’s not a high performance grease

her Is a comparison of the Parker 5:1 and Neugart “(5:1?)”. Notice the larger gears on the Neugart, this is the reason it can handle larger loads and higher speeds.

I am assuming your picture is of the 5:1 @jeffM ?

1 Like

yes it’s a Neugart PLE40 5:1

Do you have any tips for opening the neugart, remove grease and how much to put in of this high performance stuff?

Yes you need to heat the screws because There is a loctite on the thread
Take care with the 4 gearing, the Rolls in the center removed easily
And put grease like my picture not too much

1 Like

Last week bought a Neugart 5:1 reduction drive on ebay but the seller just email he only got a 3:1 ratio not a 5:1. Can anyone advise me on if this will work or will it struggle for low end torque…Using a 500kv SSS motor.
Any advise would be appreciated.

First of all, thanks for this forum, been doing a lot of reading and quite excited about the possibilities.

As someone who is just starting out and accumulating parts, what would the current advice be?
-start with 500kV SSS motor or (?360kV) and the Neugart PLE40 5:1
-or wait a month or two for a ?direct drive option to become more apparent