Another Jet Propulsion Try

My gutt says 49mm jet is just too little Gogetta. Seems Virus has a proven size and 56-64mm are likely sizes that will work best for direct drive jets… But you can buy just their impeller for $23 from them and test in a tube, shaft and coupler to your motor?

2 Likes

RL mast is ok for 8Y cables with some space for sensor cables or whatever. But the wing is for kitefoil so I would like to know how it works for efoiling. René has flat one for efoiling now and guys are working on same as you have but bigger - cca 850mm wide for efoiling.

I take it you guys have seen this site for jet drives, https://www.mhz-watercraft.com/shop/en/ (sorry just seen earlier you mentioned it was a MHz prop)

Hello Boris,
are you from the Wörthersee? I am living here. I am working on a 60 jet. Maybe we can meet ?
Greeting
Toto

Hey Toto,
yes I am living in Klagenfurt, of course we can meet if you want!

Lot of guys building with various size impellers it seems. So far I have chatted with guys using 51mm, 56mm, 60mm, 64mm, 70mm, 80mm impellers. Based on my own testing and the results of others the sweet spot is between 56 - 64mm with direct drive.

Virus has set the benchmark that 56mm works well, and the larger the impeller gets the less they seem to perform with the lack of torque from direct drive.

Here is a free impeller design software: Jet Propulsion? - #64 by VeFoil - Propulsion System (Motor, Gears) - FOIL.zone

3 Likes

Did you find one seal better than the other? are you getting water into the motor housing?

Hi,
I did not had the time to test the board yet. I should be able to finish it the next week, and then i will report :slight_smile:

Best regards

Please do not spam the whole thread with this build, the performance is not good enough to power a hydrofoil with it…

What happened with your Torqeedo foil? Is it running yet?

Hey Max,
my old torqeedo build (not a foil) was a side project in the company I worked before, so I do not have access to it any more.

The actual built is running now.
The past two days I did some testing on the Wörthersee, unfortunately without the proper battery pack… (old,worn out RC battery Packs with 12S1P 5000mah)
It really has plenty of power and the jet works pretty well, but due to the battery not for a long time…
I did not manage to get on the foil yet but for me it looks pretty good at the moment.

you can see a small preview on my Instagram page:

Cheers!

4 Likes

What prevented you getting up on the foil?

one reason i did not try to get up on the foil was that i did not mounted a thrust pad at the time of the test ride, so the surface of the board was to slippery to get up on it, the second reason was that the cooling pump was not working properly at the moment so i decided to use full throttle just for a few seconds…

but it was just the first test, i will continue testing when i have a new battery…

2 Likes

Hi Boris,
This is a very nice build. I just re-read the complete thread, I had missed part of it. I really like your plug system. The simplicity of direct jet drives is so nice. Once I give up on the belt experiments I am thinking about reusing that SSS 360kv for jet experiments. What motor are you using? Did you measure your currents? Are you planning to share your CAD? Hope you get your batteries soon and will share more tests with us.
Grüße aus LA an den wunderschönen Wörthersee,
Merten

Don’t give up. It looks promising.

Hi, can you share your STL files for the printed pieces?

Hello Boris,
at the same place I tested my jetdrive yesterday :grin::grin:

That’s looking good! Can’t wait to see it in the boat!

Hey Thorsten, your jet drive looks great!
What components do you use for it (ESC, Motor, Impeller)

I will not… but the progress is very slow at the moment because i ran out of money and time for this project.