Will it hold.. mast to board connection

Hello.
I started my build reacently…
At this moment i am at designing and material collecting stage…
I need opinion and advice.
I am worried if my design for connecting mast and board will be stiff and strong enough…
Both mast and block whare mast connect to bard will be 3d printed and additionaly filled inside with epoxy ( 5-10% infill, rest filled with epoxy. Mast will be printed in three parts but only upper most part will be filled with epoxy)
Connection will be made with taper system. mast will have tapered part and block taperd hole.
Aditionaly inside mast will be three 8mm aluminum rods that will stick out and have thread cutted on them.
They will be bolt on to wooden blank on top of block with taperd hole, and will also serve as bottom for battery compartment.
I realy hope i explaned this w well that you guys can get idea how will all this connect .
Here is fusion design and quick hand made sketch of assembly.

Also sorry my english is realy bad :frowning:

Mast and board , you and board , look like board would gone down with you on Down the mast …

wooow…
Thanks.
How didnt i see that…
I was concetrating on the mast board joint and didnt see that… ROFL

Mast mount - plate - board - plate

In your design , the bottom plate bigger than the hole in the board
Top plate would be secure from the sides
Sides hold the top …

Much like the lift and the fliteboard which we found the construction template

Best you and the mast , board is just here to help you on start and carry the battery ( éventuelle rescue you ) …that being said I am still trying to build my board …
First set up work fine , see my built « slow built from France »…

Yes im just thinking about bottom plate.
Then block with hole will be sendwiched in two plates.
Thanks i will check your build.

Hello.
I yust wanna share my new mast design which i thin will be better and easyare to make…
Also my idea of connectinf motor to mast.
I would like to know what you gus are thingking aboit it.

1 Like

Aluminum rods will go all the way thrue mast.
Will help to join parts together, give some strustural strenght and also serve as conductor.
I will cut profile in plywood and prest it on, then all will be layed and wacumed in 3 layers of carbon.
Aluminom rods will go up to the battery ompartment and get connected to esc.

Hi, your aluminium rods concept is a very nice but aluminium is no as good conductor as copper, I believe that it would be strong after carbon lamination if done right, but if you plan on using your aluminium rods instead of electrical wires then it carries it’s own risks, like in case of water penetration through the mast, could cause short circuit, and also high risk of electrocution if you get a substantial crack in the mast.

Thanks im glad you like it…
I know, that is not as good conductor as copper, but it is better then steel or iron, also it is much ticker then standard wires ppl use in they build. 8mm solid aluminum…
at 200A on that lenght will have only 50W of loses. i was reading here that ppl have up to 100W of losses on 6 awg copper wire, and my calculatons support that.
im aware of chances for shot circuit, i will have circuit braker, and will hope mast will not crack…

After long period of stagnation my build is comming up quickly.
Board is almost ready for epoxy and fiberglass.

Uploading: IMG_20210509_173254.jpg…

6 Likes

First rear wing is done.
Two layers of 163g/m2 fiberglass and vaccume bagged.
Looks grat and freals eaven better.
Nice finish ( except few wrinkles from bag, that i need to sand down).

It is realy stiff and hard.

Next is front wing, and then mast done in carbon fiber.

2 Likes

Do you plan on running the battery connections down the mast or the phase wiring to the motor?
Love the idea, but carbon is a conductor, so is saltwater. If there is any kind of failure in your printed mast this could go very wrong very fast for you.

There’s a reason people gravitate to the straightforward way of doing things. It Works, It’s Tested and you Know What to Expect.

But I still like your idea, maybe try to fine-tune it to reduce the risks.

Phase wires will be wired down the mast.
If somthing goes bad vesc will first shut down or die.

Yes i know. I will take extra steps to ensure no carbon is near the ends whare aluminum rods stick out

Yes i am redy to buy aluminum mast from ebas if this dont work out, but still wana try.

I like the idea of building everthing by my self.
It is alot of work but also alot of satisfacton when somthing turns out nice and working.

1 Like

Actuali mast is realy stiff just with 3d printed parts and aluminum rods.i printed it with 2 layer outline and 10% infil but infill is 200% extrusin so it is thick and strong.

I think you may also have a bit of a water problem with the wood board, it has a lot of force acting on it and you will have to try to get this as watertight as possible because you will get water in there and the wood will swell. How about using something like a thick plastic cutting board instead, the nylon ones that don’t crack.
You can’t really use big washers because they will end up touching each other or shorting if there’s water on them, also keep in mind that aluminum hates being threaded, and I’ve said some very big words every time I’ve stripped the nut or bold when I tried to tap aluminum.

Thanks for the warning.
I actualy think of cuttung slot in top side of aluminum rods and slip cable fastner in and drill hole from side to other end so i have secure connection.

Then i can use standard nut and have cable connection compresst betwean.

Some more progress, it is slow but stedy.
Board is alomst ready for lamination.
Also this plywood hatch will be laminated in carbon fiber.

2 Likes

Some more progress.
Board laminated, did some filling with 2k epoxy filler, now i need to sand and see if its need more filler.

1 Like

4 Likes