What’s your top speed?

Hi Mauro,

Where did you get your prop ? Any link ?

It’s not a commercial prop, my design 3d printed PC-max (polycarbonate), finished with epoxy.
Unfortunately I had to reduce the diameter on the lathe, to lower phase current, but if you’re interested on it I can share the file as I did in the past for other versions.
It’s due to redesign in the next few days, same pitch but less diameter (same as this chopped: 136mm), if you can wait I’ll share the new file.

1 Like

I would love if you can share this design :blush:

And yes, no problem, I can wait a few days for the redesign :wink:

Thank you !

MaB what pitch does you prop have? And what is actual diameter? I am running a 1:8 gear and have plenty of torque but not enough speed with my 7,8x8 prop. Would you share your files ?
Greetings
Toto

136mm dia, 240mm pitch => 5,3" x 9,4" if I am not mistaken.
Cruising at 37kmh and top speed at 48 kmh looks pretty awesome :smile:

Thanks but what is originally diameter before lathing it down?
I would like to try it on my drive.
What rpm are you running this prop?

I’ve 4:1, 12s Lipo, 350KV motor. It was originally 145mm diameter, the pitch about 240mm, hub and blades about 45mm high.
If you give me your rpm, motor type, approximately your weight and which foil I can adjust the design for what I learnt about this subject… Just for fun

…in the meantime, take a look to this one:

It was from my first build, with 5:1 planetary… Sooooo fast! Quite an Ampere sucker though.
With 8:1 could be fine.

1 Like

Love that prop! Still really grateful that you shared it.
I’m 95 kg and it gets me to 44kph.

Hello MaB,
I am around 81Kg, my wing is Gong M, and my drive is SSS56114 440KV 1:8 gear. Out of the water I have around 2600 rpm and lots of torque.

Thank you so much !

Is this the one you reduced to 136mm dia ?

No, that was around 240mm pitch… I’ve files spread around on 2 computer and usb memory… can’t find that specific one but I’ll draw another.

For Toto44, check this one:
Hub 50, 146-325pitch

Widening the hub to 60mm makes the design rather unpleasant! I made it 50mm which is a lot for a 146mm prop. Going bigger than that it will require lots of current and put a lot more strain on your motorgearbox. My idea is that hi-pitch/low surface and diameter pays better than big prop/low pitch on our E-Foils.
Try this, if you can, laminate a patch of thin fiberglass on the junction blade/hub. I know that’s annoying but it will give the prop better chances to survive hi torque. Later I take a photo to some I’m doing today, just to clarify what I mean. Other prop will follow… I’m interested in having people to try, feedback are important in my sick intent of breaking the 30Kt without having to throw away esc, motors etc! :sweat_smile:

All these are reinforced with fiberglass, 125gr or less if I remember correctly, takes a little more work but the result is strong and more rigid.

2 Likes

Hello MaB,
crazy! You are fast.
Are you sure this prop will not have too much pitch?

Would you send me a step or parasolid? I need a lip at the hub and 10mm shaft and different torque pin.

Ok, will do in pm.
Maybe we should open a thread for DIY propeller or continue on an existing one…

Great, thanks.
I think we should open new thread.

I agree, would be nice to have a new thread about DIY props and the tests results.

You get really nice speed with your prop, I bet other people here would like to reach such speed with a diy prop :smile:

From an outboard prop I made this prop: 135mm diameter and 8inch / 203mm pitch. I will run it with 500kv sss motor and 5:1 gear reduction on 14S. If I can go full throttle on the foil it will get me to 50+ km/h. But I am not sure if I can run it full throttle without falling :sweat_smile: Static test shows 180 amps at 3600 rpm. When I’m on the foil the rpm should go up and amps down. Is there already someone who has recorded 50+ km/h?

2 Likes

David from Flying Rodeo himself recorded a topspeed of 54kmh I thinh