Volker’s Build - 80100 18650-30Q

Which slicer do you use?
Is the support good?
I printed this prop upside down without any support, but i would love to learn the correct parameters to get a perfect support.

Yeah, strength may be an issue, i will see.
Slicing in cura
6 Perimeter, shifting wall layer, 60% infill, 40mm/s 0,2mm Layer, 200°/60° Support 50°
Removing Support is a bit annoying, sometimes it popps off in one piece, sometimes it takes chisel work

Awesome work V_S! Do you have a link to where you purchased these stainless steel bearings?

Sure

1 Like

Teaser: i have data!

5 Likes

Real world stats

Lucky me, i had this weekend a Vesc for testing. Setup VESC:
Battery Current max 80A, Motor Current max 130A. No Problems to get on Foil with my board.
RL Foil, Backwing shimmed 2mm, 80100, 2Blade 145mm +10% pitch.
Prop was chipped at one end and not sanded at all. So still room for improvement.
You can see nice, how Current Limit Kicks in at full throttle.

3 Likes

Which vesc did you use ?

Performance goes down past 25km/h ( duty vs speed vs motor amp ) , is it drag ? Higher rpm with outrunnner … ?

Yes, combination Foil/Motor/Prop works best 22-25kph.
Round about 1800W at 24kph

I can confirm, the Flipsky 200A works.
I have no clue, how a Vesc really works, and how it does its magic and measures the correct settings for the motor, but it is amazing.
I have tested the Flipsky. It is shipped with an older FW.
I swapped my flier against the Vesc, plugged in the Metr.at Pro dongle (stripped unneccesairy 3 cable), started Vesc-tool App, and did successfully do FW Update and went through the Motor and Input wizzards.
Adjusting Motor Current to 130A, Battery Current to 80A, lowered the temperatures settings 10° and thats it.
I have a temperature switch 40°C attached to the housing. Cooling turns in about 15% of the time. (0,5min on, 3,5min off) No thermal issues so far.
I guess with 100% time cooling, it would stay way cooler and/or could handle much more current without thermal issues.
Can it handle 200A? No clue.

What ever, i can confirm, this Vesc works with 80100 and my setup flawless.
For me its a nobrainer. 180€/200USD and you get a easy to use/cool Vesc with the ability to connect a metr.at.
With plenty of safty Features, waterproof housing it should be as indestructable as the Flier. No burnt ESC anymore.
As long i do not know, how this Vesc ist build, i dont go over 150A motorcurrent and i should be on the safe side for the Hardware.

By the way: FOC is so silent :smiling_face:
And the Flier cooling was needed about 75% of time, this vesc cooling 15% time pump on seems to be enough.
Anyway, i dont think you can use this one passiv cooled.

The downside of this Vesc: Batterycables are Double 8AWG, thats more than enough, but:
Motor cables only AWG10.
If you want to push your Limits in riding, go for the 75/300, for relaxed and cheap cruising with 25kph go for the Flipsky and a 63100 or 80100
The 63100 is more efficiant at speeds below 30kmh. Above 30kmh the 80100 seems to be better. But its also a matter of the Prop

8 Likes

That’s definitely some interesting results here !
I might end up getting this VESC too :slight_smile:

May I ask how you get the gps speed ? Does it come with the metr module ?

Do you also plan to test different kind of props like the one from tunnelvision ?

I wouldn’t stress about the 10AWG cables. I have been riding them for ages and no heat issues even after 30 minutes with 90% throttle.

1 Like

@Sliman_O GPS speed handy

@Jezza that sounds good. I thought someone said AWG10 get hot at 60?80?A continues

Thank you for the stats! I will go to vesc setup now.

Is a good option…
What prop are you using? You got the 130kV?

130kv+flier400A, same as yours was :smiley:

I used the cheepo alu prop for 2hp yamaha engines.

Oh, my files and results are free for everyone…
Here the used prop for that log above:

And the shim for the rear wing:

2 Likes

Thank you, I will try this out.

I got the 80kV, you the 130kV.
I dont know, If it is wise to try a high pitch prop on a higher kV :thinking:
But hey, its only 2€ PLA…

1 Like

Cables are made of copper and 2/3 of the length is under water, so it can stay pretty cool :grimacing: