Using t-shirt press temp breakers for efoils?

I hate to re-invent the wheel

If I am not mistaking, I am reading here that basic ones like the one below are kind of over-heating ?

I am looking for a much safer heat breaker, something that would work many times over, and is 100% reliable to cut the motor automatically, so I look at what is available in the industry for much-proven products.

I guess some of you have already played with t-shirt clam shell presses

Obviously we do not need a temp regulators, but we may take advantage of the spare part which is a reliable breaker ?

One can easily program a max temp, and it breaks safely every single time (a big switch noise can be heard when it break).

I am wondering if anyone here would have enough electronics knowledge to tell whether that could be a good system for us or not ?

I don’t immediately see where you are heading with this.
A good system for what? Overheat protection? You can have that much simpler. We don’t have any actively heated parts in the eFoil where a temperature needs to be regulated.

Sorry for not being clear enough. I have edited my first wording.

It simply wouldn’t be worthwhile. Its super easy to set up a system with a temperature switch that then switches power off via a relay. You can use numerous relays eg. forklift, electric vehicle… anything that can reliably handle the high current and voltage for our requirements.

You could use these temp sesnors alongside with these buzzers, they’re louder than normal phone’s speaker. You can LEDs as well and make them flash. Or attach yep, a relay to it. cheap as chips

1 Like

Seems like instantly cutting power would suck. You’d go head over heels into the water with no warning. I’d rather see something that slowly reduces power and has an overheat buzzer or indicator on the remote.

“Seems like instantly cutting power would suck. You’d go head over heels into the water with no warning”. Interesting point. First I thought that a boat with an immediate prop cut would not slow down immediatly. But then yes indeed a foil acts differently.

I have not foiled yet, but when not foiling, the drag and difference in torque on the board definitely disturbes your balance. I have to shift my weight back instantly, otherwise a nosedive and splash are following soon. I had this when I used a hard temperature cutoff in my Vesc of only 5°C between throttling back and complete shutoff.

1 Like

Thank you, useful info !

Definitely dangerous, you fly in front of board and you get hit by the bow. It happened to me. Plus, cut an overheated esc running under load is a no no.

1 Like