The other way around

Let’s talk batteries. I know cylindrical is the way to go but I like it simple :slight_smile:
Just got my hands on 12 li-ion cells from a banged up Kia Soul. Cells are 42,5ah 4.2V and the weight is 750grams. They can handle 10C without generating to much heat.

I will arrange them in two 6s packs.

2 Likes

Shared. I am tempted to add that this pull setup is not present in the 6 patents I’ve read so hopefully cannot be patented now.

2 Likes

Haha! I love that fact :slight_smile:

Foil to the people!!!

1 Like

I see some issue though as it will act as a perfect sea weed and plastic bag hoover.

You may design some front triangular prop cage to have obstacles diverted before reaching the prop, a bit like a locomotive front shield

If I acctually get to the stage were I am able to cut sea weed I will consider it a win :slight_smile:

1 Like

Small update.

Hollow shaft ready for the ensat thread.

3 Likes

Made a prototype for water proofing my XT150 connectors that will be placed between the mast and the board. I use two lip seals 4x12x6mm and a o-ring 19.5x3mm togheter with a 3D-printed shell with threads. Its a very tight fit for my 10Awg wires. I used a bit of oil in order for the shell to “spinn” on the wires. I think 4,5mm would have been better but i didnt find any.

There is no room for the plastic covers that come with the XT150 inside the housing.

I will add the STL if the overnight test is successfull.

12 Likes

Looks great! Clever to use shaft seals to rotate on the wires. Perhaps a radial o-ring groove could remove the threads and give a good seal as well.

1 Like

We will use that design it is a great idea, thank you for sharing.

great idea, I like that. Thank you for sharing

100% dry after 10 hour at 15cm depth.

Here is the STL.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiqyEh4Sf4KAhoB8QOKlyqunB939fA

You will most likely have to do a little sanding to get a smooth feeling in the thread. I added a layer of clear coat to the 3D part as well.

Enjoy!

7 Likes

Hmm, yes that would make it much easier and faster to print. Threads are demanding and requires some after prep to work in a good way. I like the lip seals. Thinking about using the on the “board side” as well. 3d print a “wall” with three pockets for lip seals. Epoxy the wall to the board and you have a water tight cable gland that requires minimum space.

Battery update!

I’ve CAD:ed, printed and tested.

First 6s pack is now done. 42,5ah cells from sk innovation. They are found in the car Kia Soul.

4 Likes

Frame in PLA. Surface of cells protected with 1mm rubber. Everything is wrapped in a gigantic heat shrink tube.

1 Like

Looks Good!..

1 Like

Looks like a nice battery package!
What are the completed battery dimensions?
What cells are you using and cost?

Cells are second life cells coming from a Kia soul. Each cell is 130x310x10mm and the weight is 750gram. I bought 12 pieces for approx 300 euro.

4 Likes

where did you buy them?

2 Likes

From your local car scrap yard. I don’t think you can buy them “new”.

1 Like

42Ah 12S for 300€. I admire your scrapyard negotiating skills :smiley:

2 Likes