The Max Maker Build

I got way more than 2kw out of it. I think I was pushing it at around 4kw. But it burnt up in about 3 minutes. Not sure how it would have handled with proper cooling. It’s not the right motor for the job though.

Sorry my bad !
But I thought Bruno told you something like they tried it for x minutes at x Power input ?

Yes he said they tested it for 30min at the stated current and voltage from the website.

Hi Max, what happened with your project?

Max, I also watched all your build videos, I also was wondering how you were making out on the project.

Virus, yours were some of the first videos I watched. PM, You, V-foil, and Lift got me started. Thanks guys.

1 Like

Hey guys. Will do engine testing asap. I moved amd had a lot of other projects to do in the meantime.

4 Likes

I am back! It has actually been about 1 year since I have been working on this. Today I finally tested the motor on the new test stand.

1. Test: I only used two Lipos @12s. The current maxed out at 30A and the thrust was about 15kg.
  2. Test I used all 4 lipos so 12s with two packs in parralel and those two in series. I managed 17kg of thrust at 50A.

I don´t quite understand why the VESC didn´t draw more Amps on both tests. Does it somehow sense that the batteies are empty? If anyone understands this better, feel free to comment. I discovered that the Lipos were empty, so they are charging now which will probably take until satturday. I really hope I can reach 30kg of thrust. My board and batteries are very heavy.

https://imgur.com/a/g9aIU3X

Some idea , lipo were not charge enough to deliver high amp
Setting in vesc didn’t give enough rpm so thrust , check erpm next time , duty …
vesc low voltage set will turn off slow power and amp , so check the min voltage in setting , I add the problem when testing with a 4s and settings make for a 12s …

What are your setting in vesc for max battery amp and max motor amp ?

40,8 v start cut off with voltage sag and no charged lipo can be the problem

Running hall sensor ?

I have no sensor. Will try again when the voltage is up.

What mode is the VESC running in?

I belive in current control? See screenshots further up?

Which current is only at 30, battery or motor?
I would set the max motor current to the max the ESC can handle. 82A will result in a much lower battery current.
The mode the ESC runs in is not shown on those screens. If I remember correctly I had to set it when I was setting up my remote.

Ah! I measured the battery current using a clamp meter. I cannot really measure the current on the motor because my laptop would be in the splash zone.

1 Like

This can kill the motor. The motor amps are the amps really flowing through the phases. So choose them according to the heating of the motor.

If you want to go cheap, get a HM-10 module
If you want to do an investment for the future: get the Metr Pro Module. This can be used for really nice video overlays.
Then you get all the data you need.

That motor will burn regardless. I had one and it burnt in 3 minutes. There’s no way to cool it properly.

1 Like

Well, lets hope you just had a bad version.

It’s got nothing to do with that, the motor I had was fine. There’s just no way to cool the motor fast enough unless you fill the housing with oil.

Today I tested again with charged Lipos. I maxed out at 19kg Thrust but only 40A Battery current. I cannot really read out my VESC while testing due to the water splashing around. Any ideas what to change? Could this be a controll type problem? I used current controll. Maybe I have reached the limit of this setup and the prop cannot generate any more thrust?

Here are the VESC settings. https://imgur.com/a/McYKEQC

You need to log rpm to see if prop is max out … if Max rpm on load is close (80%) to max rpm off load then the prop is maxed on thrust

For me your motor hits max current before a nice rpm for the prop in order to give nice thrust

Try max current motor 100A, 130A ( not for long just to see)
Battery 80A

1 Like