The Max Maker Build

My settings for Trampas VESC6+ is 120A/100A (motor/battery current). Which one you did you exactly buy?

Are you still running 6S ? Those are pretty High numbers !

Do you have a link to share for this Wavemaker VESC ? Can’t find it anywhere

No in 2018 I was running 8s lipo then 2019 I was running 12s (18650) , total weight around 120kg with a « big wing » I tried several values , theses were working for me ( quick start) , I never did a clean recorded log flying , and I was more practicing turns and falling

You mean 120Kg total = 25/30Kg board with battery and 90/95 kgs rider ?

Yes , will try to go around 100kg this year 

My parameters are 60A battery and 90A motor.
A friend weighting 85kg took off easily with only 50A. Then around 26A on the foil at 23kph
For myself, 70kg, take off: 40A, then between 18 to 23A

You must have either an optimised F wing (RL) or a very large one to get such nice results, like 1400cm2 or above. Which one do you have ?

I have a Gong Allvator L wing, 1640cmÂČ.
Works really good, I think we can reach speeds up to 30+ kph, which is eniugh for a start.
A friend weighting about 60kg was able to ride at 22kph with only 800W.

2 Likes

Hi Tom, this are good numbers. Which motor are you using again?

I’m using Flipsky 100 Kv

Can you upload a metr stat?

I rebooted my metr app due to a bug. It is now fixed but I don’t have my logs anymore. I should hit the water tomorrow and should be able to record again

1 Like

I tested the Flipsky motor today. The settings were 60A battery and 90A motor. At full throttle it drew 40A from the battery. Seems weird to me. Why not 60A? Could the motor have maxed out at 90A?
I couldn’t measure the motor current. The thrust was 26kg, so very close. The prop was a 71/4 x 5 steel prop.

@superlefax I have the 6.4 and it has 80-120A.

@Felixfoiler I ground off the top of the steel prop. Then I placed it on my drillpress and alligned it by inserting a 10mm drill in the now exposed hole. Then I clamped it down and changed the drill to a 12mm one. The shear pin groves on the inside were tiny and shallow. I cut them deeper on my CNC.

1 Like

Hi Max, have a look at your duty cycle value. I guess it was 95% @40A battery current. The reason for that is because your prop is to large or your motor kV is to high. Which VESC do you exactly have?

Probably motor hit 90A at around 50% duty and rpm so 40A battery
Smaller prop , or increase max amp motor , static thrust tests are put more on the motor , foiling you might hit a higher rpm
Hard to find the sweet spot between rpm/thrust/power

2 Likes

Hi Max, Check the “realtime data” page in “data analysis”, on the left.
You will then see all live data coming from the vesc: ERPM, motor and battery current, temperature etc.
As already said, there are 2 explanations:

1. Duty cycle maxed out at 95%, which means your propeller can’t draw more than 40A. Not likely IMO.
  2. Low Duty cycle, around 40/50%, meaning that you maxed out motor current. Check on the realtime data page.
1 Like

I tried a slightly different prop today. Nissan Prop It is slightly larger than the Yamaha prop. It fit the flipsky motor without much modification. I only had to chop off the top to screw on a retaining nut.

It drew 40A from the battery at 25kg of thrust. So it was the same as the other prop.

@Thom and @Alexandre: I think you are right. Measuring the current with the Vesc is difficult logistically. Today it drew 40A_bat at full throttle, but when the water got drained from my rain barrel, the prop caught air and the current went up to 45 A. My theory is that the prop had less friction in air, so it could spin faster. That would proof that the prop is to big. Would you agreed?

I am thinking now, that a 6“prop would be better. Anyone got a source for that? Its hard to find since most outboards start at 2hp.

40A is not so much. The same prop drew 100 battery amps at 12s with my flipsky 120kv. Do you run it with 100kv motor?

Do yourself a favor and crank the current up to 120A phase.
But keep an eye on the temperature of the motor.

1 Like