The German Fehmarn Build

Hello everybody,
in September 2019 I stumbled across PacificMeister`s efoil video. It got a hold of me rather fast …
After reading the forum for weeks, the first step was taken on November 1st. I cut the blank out of an EPS block using a hot cutter.

2 Likes

It should be an angular design, relatively thick and actually 160x60x16cm. However, when I saw this huge chunk, I sawed off another 20cm for a short time … Now my baby has become 140x60x15cm

My first attempt to build the stringers out of aluminum was rejected. It was too heavy and not effective.!

Then I tried it with 5mm wide wooden strips. That worked very well. After the raw form was finished, I put aluminum tubes through the EPS so that I don’t crush the foam when assembling the mast. The mast plate is supported on the stringers.(upload://yF04gLFpBqGRQ4L56Cvw2CdQoGP.jpeg)

Then everything was packed in carbon and glass and built in a vacuum. Not so easy, because I used sewn carbon. Has not become perfect, but it will work.
Then there were many hours of work with sanding and filling …

1 Like

At the same time, I received many packages from China, England, Slovenia and Germany …
I selected the Flying Rodeo drive and the Vesc 75/300. The mast fits perfectly on the board, the Vesc comes with a 200A fuse in a waterproof aluminum box. Among them is a self-made water cooler and a separate water pump.

1 Like

202/5000

The battery will come from China. I plan to take a 14S40Ah battery from Eleart. Finished in a waterproof box, IP 65 …, approx. 10kg and also quite large. That’s why I planned such a thick board

1 Like

This evening I applied the first varnish, here the first picture with color on it …
So far so good. From now on it will be a bit more difficult for me because I have no idea about ESC, model making and electronics.
I trust in this forum so I can get my baby flying in 2020

So far my current construction status. I look forward to your comments and advices.
I wish everyone a wonderful 2020 with a lot of time flying on the water…

8 Likes

Wow. Excellent work! I wish I had the knowledge you have with glassing and vacuum bagging. My board will be my first attempt.

Your board size is very similar to what I plan. I laughed when you saw the huge chunk of foam, you changed your design and cut it down some more! :rofl: I’m sure this will happen to me too.

I plan 150x71x15cm. But, looking at your board I think my design might look funny! :sob:

I worry that the position of your mast and battery is about 15cm too far forward. Causing riding position to be too far forward. I plan to position my mast and (coresponding battery) farther back.

Also, how will you waterproof the hole where the wire come up from the mast?

Thank you for posting your build! Great progress!

:call_me_hand:

It was my first Board without any knoledge… But with so much fun…
So much time, but so much fun :grinning:

Wow! Excellent work! Did you make your own vacuum pump, or buy one?

The position of the mast is calculated out of the forum. My battery is heavy, so I hope it’s okay.
I do not plan to separate the mast from the board for transportation. So I will seal the mast with permanently elastic mass. Butyl is used when e.g. a fender is screwed to a car. That seals perfectly. I bought the used vacuum pump on ebay. € 50 was a very good investment …

2 Likes

little update:
The booard is ready now:

I bought the maytech remote and coated it with silicone and filled it up with foam

After that I put the best protection…

At last I got the new RL Wing. It looks really good with his 84cm wide.

I have some problems with my small 6mm screws, but I hope I find a v2a shell to make it stable in the RL fuselage, which is optimized for 8mm screws.

Assembled looks like that:

the engine is at the same height as the rear section. I hope the position is okay.
The first test in real conditions are pretty good. My weight is 80 kg and the board floated.
But it is naked without battery , electronic, mast and foil…

A few decorative stripes …

Now I am waiting for the battery and better weather…
:slight_smile:
The board is 6,1kg, the cover is 2kg!, the electronic-box is 1kg with vesc , the mast and the foil is 8kg and the battery is 10,5 kg. Total 27,6kg !!! That`s a lot!!!

8 Likes

Wow. Excellent job on your build! I love your board. I think the mast position is gonna be ok. Looking at the location of your foil looks about right.

These builds take so long! :sob::rofl:

yes, you are right. I started in autumn and I can feel the spring…
And between it was a great time with a lot of pleasure.
I hope it will work.
The cover is made with carbon. I bought a long antenna to take it out of the box.
Can I put a shrinking tube about the end?

Yea. Heat shrink won’t hurt the antenna.

Is this antenna to be used with the maytech remote / receiver?

How did you go about selecting the right antenna? I’ve been thinking about extending my antenna too. Can you share a link to where you purchased it?

For drones we don’t do it, because it will lower the signal. However, in this case the remote is pretty close to the receiver so I don’t know if it will have a big impact. You can just put some silicone conformal coating on it though, what do you think ?

Here is the link :
slight_smile:https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1985198930.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.fc784c4docWCQw
I talked with maytech. They said it is no problem

1 Like

silicone conformal coating can break.
I want to fill it up with corrosionX, than heatshrink over it . Inside the heatshrink some normal silicon.
I hope, the signal is enough for 1 meter.