The Fliteboard eFoil thread - Info for the DiYer

it’s really easy. I used play doh. to make a dam around the area, to not have epoxy run. I used Medium twill carbon fibre just like using fibreglass cloth for strength. Glass in both sides and use heat transfer silicon paste to mount an aluminium plate. My ESC never gets above 85F.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to the heatsink you used by any chance? Or some close up pics inside and outside.
How did you isolate it so that it does not melt any foam?

I’m pretty sure that hitting something and braking a mast is an Inherent issue for All E-Foils not any one specific unit,

The Fliteboard patent series (cont) : the Fliteboard eFoil in detail
English: Powered hydrofoil system: WO2019104378A1 - Powered hydrofoil system - Google Patents - pdf here
French: Système d’hydroptère motorisé : WO2019104378A1 - Système d'hydroptère motorisé - Google Patents - pdf : English only here above

Drawings including cross sections and split views are information rich : located in the pdf p 16 to 19 - Enjoy … Lift didn’t provide them.

3 Likes

The Fliteboard patent series (cont) : the Fliteboard hand controller
191008 Hand Ctrl_1
English: WO2019183668A1 - A method and system for operating a hydrofoil board - Google Patents, pdf here
French: WO2019183668A1 - Procédé et système pour faire fonctionner un panneau hydrodynamique - Google Patents, pdf : English only here above

Drawings and software functional diagram (like LIFT) are located in the drawing section p 29 to 35

3 Likes

Thanks @SoEFoil. Just like we thought, this is a Neugart gearbox. Take a look here if you have any doubt, this is exactly the same one lol :

Judging the look of the motor it is a TPP motor too.

They basically patented a PM’s build, I am a bit disapointed, was expecting some more for this price tag…

Flite is definitely reading this forum, Hello David !

A part of the explanation of this high price is the attention to details but could also be …

1908  Flite patents

Seems like the Lift-Langelaan patent is only valid in the US. Wondering if it would have been granted outside, in Europe for example (2008 Evolo project = prior art )

No they didn’t. There were plenty of motor units that used planetary gearboxes long before efoils used them…

1 Like

Where do you see a thrust bearing?

Ok my mistake, I thought this thing was a thrust bearing but it’s not. Just zoomed on the original patent to look at :

Take a look at following patent : US 2018/0072383. We are far from what they have today. As far as I know David is not an engineer, he wouldn’t have been able to think about such a thing by his own. So, how exactly did the magic happend in 2018 ?
To me, it looks like he first came across this forum…

This baby is a scorpion motor, the cap & seal is coming from a torqeedo motor, the ESC he was refering to also is more like a turnigy aquastar…

torqeedo front cap :

Scorpion motor :

I’m a little lost on what points you are trying to get across?
If you are talking about Flying Rodeo (David), he has a degree in both Electronics and Mechanical engineering. Apart from that I don’t see why a lack of a degree would prevent anyone from solving any form of problem. Lift designed the first direct drive unit. FR reverse engineered it and improved it. Lift then started buying from FR, hence why he has no time to supply the DIY community.

The PLE60 can take a load of 500N. That is WAAAAYYYYY more that efoiling will ever put on that gear unit. There’s no need for a thrust bearing.

I am talking about David Trewern, founder of Fliteboard.

Will correct my previous answer.

Trying to figure out how exactly Flite went from this idea to a totally functionnal unit patented the same year :sweat_smile: :joy:

Ah, fliteboard would have known about the gearbox before this forum started up. PMeister was just the first to document by video. The geared units had been on endless sphere for a while before being used on electric surfboards etc. This forum was born off the threads over there…

Brand new fliteboard, had an incident with leaking oil. The motor still works but has a vibration. This is why I like Flying rodeo Motor better because of the direct drive.

Is it yours ?
What happened ?
Do you know the brand of thee brown V-ring ?

I’d be interested to know what happened too :sweat_smile:

I think Thom is speaking about the lipseal

Just riding along on the 5th time on the water and felt a terrible vibration. There was no impact to the foil or propeller. Fliteboard support is pretty good, they troubleshooted and determined it was a broken gearhead. They will send a replacement so thats cool. It could have been a long cold swim but luckily I had jetski support.

Bad luck I guess…
Can you spot the brand of the lip seal ?

Would you measure the outer diameter of the motor pod to be compared to the FR motor please :slight_smile: ?
Analyzing the patents, they seems to use Neugart gearbox with TPP motor, so OD should be pretty close to 60mm.

Also, do they offer a brand new replacement board or just replacing the pod ? What about the old / broken one, do you need to ship them back ? Interested in their after sale management :slight_smile:

1 Like