The Audi e-tron e-foil

Hi @Jezza , it is not a jet propulsion. It is a fully shielded propeller.

At my test ride in November I had 92 kg plus 5 mm wetsuit, vest and helmet which makes it almost 100 kg. It had no problems at all to lift me up.

Spring is coming, so you will see some bigger guys like me riding the Audi e-tron Foil on video. Stay tuned …

That pretty much looks exactly like a pump jet propulsor which will have less efficiency than Lift and Fliteboard props.

Its by definition a jet. It probably has an impeller design instead of prop and definately uses an end nozzle to increase outlet velocity.
Try to post normal consumption in wh/km as soon as you can Andreas. It looks really sweet with jet, but the 30% extra consumption is quite likely…

@E-Surfer.com
Did you get the board ? Any updates ?

Unfortunately not. The plan was that I visit the factory to pick the board up, get a service training and do interviews. Then there was a Covid case on their side, after that in my family and now finally me. Everybody is doing okay. The new plan is mid of February.

Thanks for the updates , facing exactly the same thing in France in my town , finally everyone got it over the past 3 weeks ( mainly from schools ) …

I finally got them and made an unboxing video to start with. Now the weather needs to improve …

5 Likes

I love the shape of the board. However it looks like they have a flat bottom. I wonder why they didn’t went with a double concave or so

Because for the amount of time you are on the water with the board the concave will add no value and it will just make production slightly harder and more expensive.

1 Like

Seams to shift pretty good. Don’t understand a word what the guys are talking though…
For sure this type of propulsion will loose efficiency compared to propeller without duct, but would not be surprised if this would be industry standard in the future due to safety reasons. The design is much like the one on Awake Rävik.

Yeah, have to agree on the safety part. Their product look nice and safe. I’d say the company finding the best mix between prop & impeller with close to same efficiency as a prop would get some serious points (yeah I know by essence it’s difficult to have same efficiency,…).

Thats pretty much a Fliteboard with 80-90mm ducted prop/impellor. Not hard to make that at all. No ones really toyed on the forum with props/impellors that size as efficiency wise they aren’t as good. There would also be an argument to simply lengthen existing ducts to prevent body parts reaching the props if you wanted to add extra safety factor.

Would be interesting to know the rpm of both awake rävik and the e-tron shafts. Have a feeling that they are much closer to a jet pump than a ducted propeller. I guess they both use impellers, not propellers. Newer been a big fan of jetpumps, but in this application the e- tron looks like very well designed unit. Also achieved speed is pretty good considering the power of the motor so can be they are getting closer to the efficiency of un ducted propellers, at least at higher speeds.

The propeller is not the dangerous part! The wings and the mast are going to hurt you!

10 Likes

found this photo related to Awake designers interview in “ny teknik”. Can be early prototype or den final product, no idea.

What goes to safety, maybe better to say the propeller is not the only dangerous part, sure the wing and mast can be also, and more likely so than the prop. However recalling seen on this forum writing about damages caused by spinning propellers also? One difference is that the propeller might, in case of operating error(pulling trigger) or malfunction, cause damage even if the board is at rest.

Yes totaly true, prop is not the most dangerous part when falling… It`s the wings… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

looks really well designed! but can`t be that efficient and 15000€ is just of limits :rofl:

Meanwhile our friends from scubajet are set to realease a nice looking kit advertised to hit 50kmh for 4.7k€ - Available August 2023 - :

Posted here for the obvious resemblance. Also, brands are coming here to cherry pick all the infos they want and give 0 technical details once they release their products to make sure we “can not” copy them. Funny…

The whole story: Performance Series - SCUBAJET.
The esurf/efoil hybrid board has 2 slots to connect one or two 1.7kw batteries.
Stated maximum speeds : 50 km/h for efoiling, 45 for esurfing
Difficult to believe they can reach such a speed with this scuba motor fitted with a jet and a 1300cm2 front wing.

An interesting remote:

No idea, was looking for one of their product so I went on their website and landed on this.

If I’m not mistaken, no jetfoil yet proved to be that fast. I know the Audi Etron did say they could, and I believe they may, but we never saw any video of them hitting that speed, so I’m really curious…