SUP inflatable paddle board build

Try to log your erpm to see where you are
Load increases to a point where erpm will not raise much more and amps will raise to much
Erpm is calculated on pair of poles not poles , check this …
Better to change one value at the time and see what it does , limiting erpm will limit load and amp as well , but one limit is enough I think

May be seat a bit more in front on the board

Édit : 6384 erpm x6 or 7
So erpm is not limiting

Try a 3 blades prop

Unfortunately I have no means of logging. Just amp meter and remote with screen. I bought flipsky bluetooth module but cannot connect it together with VX2 receiver at the same time into FSESC and I think spending money on metr.at is a bit too much for extent of my project :slight_smile:

I was counting max erpm limit according to vesc tool guidelines, 12 magnets, 6 pole pairs times 10.000 should be max erpm which is what I set (60.000).

I was thinking about 3 blade prop just have to wait till it will get printed for me.

As for seating a bit in the front - I was also thinking about that but that should not influence how much max current I can draw.

Anyway I flashed new fw 5.1 with no HW limit even though I am not reaching anywhere near 120A :slight_smile: just to see and left default erpm limit.

Max erpm : kv x batt x nb pair poles : 100x 50 x 6 =. 30k off load , around 24 000 on load

7 poles, 6384 Outrunner

I don’t use the vx2 , but normally you connect the receiver to the vesc via the uart cable and the get the data on remote screen , not need of the BT module in the case , for real time values
( vesc needs to be set on uart , set up should be around on net )

And I think you can free the uart port of the vesc using the receiver non vesc for this remote ( spare part ) classic way using ppm cable

What receiver specifically do you have in mind so that it works with VX2? Flipsky is selling only receivers for VX1 and VX2.

Oh, ok I think I found it - non vesc just seems to be out of stock.

At the moment I am using ppm cable that goes from VESC to power my 5v water pump.

How exactly would I get data on remote screen? Atm. I have receiver connected via uart cable into uart port.

Probably connection is good , data should display : if not , probably settings in vesc such BT frequency 11500… Matching firmware vesc/remote …

If firmware of the remote is older you have to downgrade firmware of the vesc

Ok, now I understand what you mean. I am getting all available data on my VX2 - speed (from pole pairs), current and graphically remaining battery capacity. There is nothing more available. I think only maytech V2 gives RPM and other stuff.

So only getting non-vesc receiver, plugging it to ppm port and using bluetooth in uart port seems to be the only way how to do some data logging.

Yes , but speed display is based on erpm , nb of teeth and wheel size , so by putting a ratio of 1 , you can managed to get rpm , or at least a number that can make sense

Or you do a ratio : knowing top speed off load ( in this air) and in the water on load ( should achieved around 70-80%)

That is how I have it set up - ratio 1 (direct drive), 6 pole pairs and I am getting 10 km/h speed on display / checked by phone GPS and speed is identical.

So do you think that size/pitch of prop is the only limitation now to get me to higher speed/amp draw?

Not sure yet
6 poles are sure ? Should be 7
What size wheel did you enter
What is your top speed in the air of load at what battery voltage ?

For wheel size you can put prop pitch which should be around 153mm perimeter or 48.8mm diameter

Enter this number
7 pair pole or 14 if asking for poles
Diameter 48.8mm

And tell me what speed is display full throttle in the air ( check battery voltage before 48v?..)

I set on remote:

7 pole pairs
hub motor=direct drive
dia 49mm

batt. voltage 46V

full throttle speed on VX2 display: 40,3 km/h
here is log if that is of any help

tested without prop

I am currently using the original Pacificmeister drive on a fixed SUP board (actually a “Windsurfer” board from 1979… :slight_smile: ) and from my experience you will need a prop of at least 120mm diameter (maybe even more for a inflateable) in order to get on plane which will be needed to go over your current ~12kmh displacement-speed.
I am currently getting up to 30km/h @140Amps - not sustainable of course; sustainable is ~20-25km/h at 60Amps.

One thing I found helpful is to reinforce the 3D-printed prop with Glasfiber in order to reduce deflection during acceleration.

To have something that lasts, I would recommend to go with the 65151 Motor and either a Flier or Flipsky ESC with at least 200A - of course, this will not fly with your 500USD budget limit…

1 Like

Nice
Numbers fits
46v x 0,95 duty ( because you don’t have 100% with vesc ) x 49x 3,14 x 100 kv x 60( min to hours )
/ 1000 000 ( mm to km ) = 40,34 km/h

For the 49 mm it is my guess ( according to log on metr already done on some post ) regarding pitch of this prop

So your speed is matching the erpm of your motor in theory

Water test : speed should because off the load , be around 70-90%

If you get speed close to 35km/h on remote by around 13km/h in gps , it means that the motor takes its rpm but the prop slip is to high and probably under cavitation … for exemple

If you get 20 on remote and 13 gps full throttle : this means the rpm drop is too high , prop too big and amp should go high also …if not your motor can be dysynchronized under load , you can correct this in vesc tool under stator saturation …

Try to put 80a max for the motor and 70a for the battery ( since the motor amp is always a bit higher than batt amp )

And your max erpm off load on 50v is 35000 so 60000 isn’t limiting

My guess : prop cavitation , to much load for the blade area ( but I am not a engineer …)

I can understand that if there is big disproportion between speed on remote and on GPS … there should be some cavitation playing role.

But my present problem is that there is identical speed on both and it is low and amp draw is low. I could imagine that there is too high amp draw and slow speed - too big or too steep prop. V_S made this prop for use with 63xx motor a he says that it is his most efficient prop.

Seem the only thing now to try (not having another prop) is to up stator saturation in vesc tool. What setting would you recommend? 5% or 10%?

I am currently using 154mm prop as mentioned in previous post. Prop is printed with max infill and is very rigid - cannot flex it by hand.

65151 is way to expensive, already burned 56115 motor on first meter of first test so ended up with 6384. I have 200A FSESC.

What is your total weight of your setup including you? Mine is 3,5kg battery, 2kg esc+motor+wires, 13kg SUP, 85kg me - 103,5 kg

No idea , just try 5 then 10 …

So in the water with this setting on the remote the speed display match the gps , full throttle ?

So far I had 6 pole pairs setting, but other than that everything the same and speed was matching.

I got reply from @V_S [quote=“V_S, post:9, topic:8489, full:true”]
watching your video, i guess your prop is pulling Air. Thats the reason, it has not enough thrust and doesnt pull much Amps. ( freespinning in Air!?)
A bigger prop wouldn help
[/quote]