Source's build log

i run high amp all season 2018 with my 8S and small motor, 100-130A all the times with 10awg wires and i didn’t have any problems with the cables
my xt90 was getting hot, i changed some for xt150, i try to solder xt90 with 8awg, didn’t not work, the plug melted before i can get a good solder…

for me it is strange “this cables heating” because i was really running high amp on 10awg and everything was warm but not the cables so much (lipo burst,esc and motor burned,plugs soldered…)

anyway , what you can do:
check solder
put nice connector 6.5-8mm (make sure the heat isn’t comming from the connector)
run the water line between cables
twist cables to lower induction
much sure to use the highest voltage of the battery: 100% throttle, correct prop/kv/thrust combo before going above 12s

1 Like

@VeFoil I was running 16s beforehand seemed to work well! What voltage did you end up going with? I decided to try 12s but things are getting a bit hot for my liking now with the 12s. I dont think I can limit my erpm via the esc like with the vesc, I’m just using a dumb boat esc so will have to use voltage/motor kv/gearbox combination to get the correct rpm @Heimfried i dont think rpm will be a problem for me as I’m using the 360kv motor and a 3:1 reduction gearbox if I move back to the 5:1 box at 16s rpm should be similar at the prop maybe off by 200rpm or so? What ya think? its sad to say I’m no stranger to getting zapped :sweat_smile: Im an industrial/commercial electrician specialized into plc automation and bms controls, but yes you are 100% correct it is dangerous! @Bender indeed I may have to look at a more efficient prop! @Alexandre all good points! I will do as you say. I have moved most of my connections to the amass 7mm bullets. only the multistar batts have the xt90s and my motor ones are like 10mm industrial ones with screws (soldered it anyway after screwing it down lol)

The only concern is just the reduction gear as they dont like high rpms in general. Im using 16S right now, its nice, lots thrust/speed and no heat or hot points. I think Lift is 14S, and Jetfoiler, and a few jet surfboards are 16S as well to keep things running cooler and lasting longer.

Do you have a link to your 10mm bullet connectors? Are they waterproof?

1 Like

The original connection is but without its cover it’s not waterproof unfortunately. I got the connectors from one of these it’s a PDL 56 series 3phase plug I use them for work.

You can pull the connectors out and use them individually or make 3d printed covers sort of like the amass AS150s. I thought they would be a good idea because of the screws holding the cable just in case it got hot and melted the solder least the screws would still hold the cable during testing.

Nice, I did 8mm bullets and just ran a M5 tap through the two holes already on the connectors and use set screws then heat shrink. This has worked very well for me for all the testing up to 200A. And its ultra quick to redo wires, change connectors etc… may save you some time if you need something cheap, fast and reliable: Troubleshooting burnt off Seaking ESC - #56 by VeFoil - Electronics (ESC, remote, batteries) - FOIL.zone

Do you think that running a 14s battery pack with a 80100 APS 130kv motor will generate too much rpms? Would a 80kv motor perform better under 14s? Thanks!

With calculations the 130kv will be 7540rpm and 80kv will be 4640 rpm at 14s I dont know what it would be once loaded in the water. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong :blush:

That would be correct! However, how would this translate performance wise? Is 7.5k rpm without load too high for an efoil? Would this damage the motor in the long run?

I guess that would depend on what prop you are going to use. You would need to match the motor rpm to the prop rpm for best efficiency I would say. I dont think it would damage the motor as long as it was running with in its specifications. I work with motors on a bigger scale at work ( 200w to 100kw plus) and they run full load almost all year round without issues

Max voltage is 18s and Max amp is 130a and 7000watt so I should be good! So basically, there wouldn’t be a big difference in performance as long as I can match the right propeller for the specific motor used? I’m still torned about choosing between the 130kv or 80kv version (would run at 13s or 14s).

I think rpm would be too high for a normal prop.
maybe possible with jetlike prop.

I tried to stay away from reading here because id want to make another one, i read some, well looks like im making another one lol

I think iv come up with some decent waterproof connectors

1 Like

Finished the Blank just need to glass it now

Board Blank Vid

5 Likes

Making some slow progress. Decided on red instead of blue

7 Likes

Just have to decide on latches now :thinking:

14 Likes

So nice! Did you use vacuum to get it this nice?

I did use a bag for this one but i reckon its more about well the blank is shaped that will mostly affect how well the finished product will be

5 Likes