SamiSin First Build (slow)

came across this, looking for the perfect ip67 connectors between board and foil. Your connectors are stated for no more than 50 mating cycles. @samisin Did you have any problem with that ever since?

Where did you see this?

Its listed on the website specs

I’m super lost now. Which connector is it, and which website?

The amphenol connector being used is rated for 50 mating cycles at its stated ip rating according to its spec sheet on the amphenol website

Sorry, but I don’t see that on the website or the spec sheet. Please post a link or screenshot of this.

For your eyes only:

All four of the Connectors he posted the link to, have a rating of 50 mating cycles in the spec sheet. Here is a screenshot of one of the sheets:

ah, toto was a little faster with the screenshot :wink:

I am wondering if this mating cycle rating is really a problem for the ip67 rating or if it is just Amphenol being a little over careful because these connectors are for the car industry.

You are right these are minimum granted rates. But still concerning. They have pin to pin compatible connectors with higher rates I will try to find the link

Surlok plus series have higher mating cycle rates.
https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/search.html?searchTerm=Surelok

Thanks for the link. However the cable cross-sections are too big for our use cases. Not sure if the 8-10 AWG would also work with the connectors.

8,10 awg will have some losses for the current ratings we are dealing with. You can use 2 or 3 awg for these connectors between battery and esc

I want to use these connectors between motor and esc in order to detach the foil from the board in a quick way, as storing with the foil attached is quite a hassle. Therefore I will need to use 8 awg, which is like 8mm2, however the surlok connectors are asking for a minimum of 16mm2

edit: just saw that for a 200A rating the connectors are even asking for 50mm2

If this would become a problem, which I doubt, consider the connector as a wear part and replace every winter? Not worry to much, we are not going to space on a foil.

Edit: 6 or 8awg is a proven solution in our foils, no need to go bigger.

check amphenol parts. They have 3 postion high current waterproof quick release connector
https://www.amphenol.com/node/4828

even better one:
https://www.te.com/usa-en/products/connectors/automotive-connectors/intersection/amp-high-current-connector-system-hvp-800.html?tab=pgp-story

Ah, you meant the Drawing…

The specs clearly state > 50 mating cycles on the website: ATHP061RS08NN-35 8mm right angle plug-ATHP061RS08NN-35

That is awesome on the board @samisin

A few questions for you
-Were you able to request modifications? or what model did you go with on their site?
-How did you ensure that your compartments would fit with the thickness?

Not sure if I am following! you mean modification to the connectors?
I did not use the 3 postion connector but for your last question, I would desing/modify the compartment based on the connector. If I would do an efoil again I would do drop in pack design like Waydoo with this connector.