Reisenauer Super Chief vs Chief

Reisenauer was one choice too, I skipped it only because of cost (relative, though) and mostly pinion bore. I already lathed the 56114 motor shaft down to 8mm, to fit the Reisenauer I had to shorten it and reduce the diameter even more. I didn’t liked also the glue thing… Water it’s not air and I did not trusted the Locktite thing. Maybe I would still have the motor pod functioning, who knoes? All this Efoil project is up to reasonate guess…

I’m guessing that’s what the price difference is between the Motor Chief’s…
I’m building a unit for a friend and we decided to use the motor chief.

Hi MaB,
how did you hold the shaft/rotor of the 56114 motor in your lathe? I would like to machine mine, too. I‘m no trained machinist so I don‘t know all fixuring tricks. I would like to machine it down so I can glue or pressfit a shaft extension in stainless steel on to it. I would love to know how to get it really straight.
In an ideal world I would remove the shaft from the rotor and replace it completely. I struggle with removing the locktited setscrews. Those setscrews are threaded into the aluminum magnet carreier of the rotor. So I dont‘t want to remove them with too much heat. I fear this would damage the magnets.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hold the rotor from the mangets, don’t tight it too much and let just the shaft (about 30mm) out. I’m not a good machinist either, just have this kind of help and advise at work!

1 Like

I did something very different when I machined mine.

• I 3D printed some mounts for my milling machine.
  • Then spun up the motor so it was going relatively slowly.
  • Then ran the milling machine with a stainless cutting bit.

It took the shaft from 8mm to 6mm in about 2 minutes!

2 Likes

Hey Guys. Just destroyed my Parker 7:1. Gonna pull the trigger on a Reisenauer Motor Chief. Just to make sure I’m understanding the setup correctly. I need to machine the motor shaft down to 5mm and then glue the pinion to the shaft?

Yes , and take the torque pinion

I understood that you also need to order a flange, unless it is already included

Hi Jezza,

Where did you find the information regarding their build?

need a flange as well that will fit your motor

1 Like

I’m using the SSS 56104. It doesn’t look like they have a flange to fit. I guess I’ll have to improvise, again! Any suggestions welcome.

They were part of a thread for an electric surfboard. Actually where I split the original thread for efoils (before Pacificmeister made this site)

E-surfboard thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41960

Original efoil thread: Electric Hydrofoil/E-Foil | Endless Sphere DIY EV Forum

3 Likes

Where did you get your flange from, you aren’t using a motor from Reisenauer right?

Would it be possible to 3D print a flange or does it have to be metal?

1 Like

Metal and high precision. Nothing is worse than a misalignment.

But @pacificmeister has a 3D printed part between motor and gearbox too? And not even a flexible coupler.

Maybe the flange works as the flexible part. The input for the planetary gear might be self aligning?

Maybe. The Neugart gearbox has a clamping system, I know that. But no idea if it is self aligning.

@Alexandre It would be interesting to know how you mounted your motor to your chief gearbox?

Check the motor for correct screw size , i used this one : 4-P-CHIEF-Flanschfür Lehner Basic und 19er Serie

I use a Tp motor , the flange is screw on the gearbox , no you cannot print this part

They have a lot of flange that can fit almost all motor on the market , at least with 2 of the 3 or 4 screws , it will hold the torque fine i think ( the case of the sss 56 i think)

But you need a 5mm shaft on the motor , i working on that: custom 56mm motor with 5mm , somewhere around October :wink:

1 Like

@Alexandre Thank you for the information :slightly_smiling_face:

I would probably lathe the shaft of a SSS motor down to 5mm.

But I have to ask another question, how does the flange work exactly? The holes are for fixing the motor, right? And how is it mounted to the gearbox? Does the flange screw itself into the gearbox (does the flange have a thread itself?)? Sorry for the dumb question :sweat_smile:

No worry , it took me some Time as well …
Yes , you choose the flange that fit the motor mount screw , m3 or m4 , 25mm or 30mm , 3 or 4 screw , for the motor that use 6 screws , take the flange that has at least 2 screws in the right place , or you can drill the flange

The flange are cnc and has a fine thread , you screw the gearbox in it ( if you use a left turn propeller that will unscrew , use loctite blue)

For exemple for the tp motor 40mm only the v1 can with 4 holes fit the flange , the v2 version ( black) new one for us market will fit only 2 screws , Check but i think it is the same for sss motor 40mm and 56mm …
Nice fit for the aquastar 40mm , i recall …

1 Like