i finished my 63100 build two months ago and since there were nearly no major issues i thought it’s time to share it with you.
First of all, “Renate” isn’t a shining example of ideal structural design ‘cause she is pretty ugly, fast build and i often used things I had lying around instead of buying the perfect piece. And the fact that I am lazy and impatient didn’t made it any better;)
Secondly, many thanks to this forum, especially superlefax who helped me all the way and preserved me more than one time from dumb mistakes.
It’s an old Windsurfer (around 200l, 3,2m) which I bought for 35 bucks und cutted to 1,35m length. I embedded a wooden 45x30x15cm electronics-box in front of the long metal thing which I took out and used the occurred channel as a wireway. I also applied 3 layers of 300g/m² glas fibre fabric on the underside because the surface looked to thin to withstand the force of the foil-plate.
The Propulsion Unit
My APS 63100 140kV was a great choice I think, just had to make 4 modifications:
- Cut the overhanging shaft
- Coating the inside with epoxy
- Drilling three M4-threads in the back as a prop mount
- Replace the standart bearings with stainless steel ones
The Motor is mounted with a 3d printed clamp to the mast, directly above the RL-Kite-Foil-Wing. The mast contains 10AWG-Motorcables and a pipe for the water cooling system. It’s powered by a Flier 320A ESC and fused with a 200A circuit breaker. I only use 3d-printed props and started with scaled (factor 0,78) version of this one from the Forum.
Since my Setup was planned for a 12S Lipo-Battery, I started using two Multistar 6S 16Ah which worked pretty great for those little fuckers. Next I bought two (faulty) Turnigy 6S 20Ah Lipos with less (!) capacity then their smaller friends (around 14Ah). So I decided to build my own 6S10P 18650-battery packs with Samsung 30Q and a K-Weld spotwelder. Best. Idea. Ever. After watching a video of chinese teens manufacturing e-bike batteries I just needed about 3 hours per pack. At the same price compared to a Turnigy 6s 20Ah, my batteries have 50-100% more capacity and even more charging cycles with the correct handling. I spared the PCB on purpose to have more control over the cell voltage with my Hobbycharger.
Riding “Renate” 1-4 times a week for the last two months there is no major thing that i would do different the text time. I tested out around eight different prop-versions and finally found the perfect one for me (for now).
These are my results @ 47 Volts:
16 km/h 21A/1kW
20 km/h 29A/1.4kW
25 km/h 40A/1.9kW
30 km/h 59A//2.7kW
Here are some impressions: