Propulsion System - Motors, Gears, etc

ya not sure on pricing but wow, motors and gearing are going to be friction/wear/maintenance free soon…

I’m sure you can get them way cheaper than that… they are on Alibaba for $10-$50 just need to find someone with customer service to get one…

Here is a page with a 100+ suppliers of coulpers as well: Motion Control Archives - Design World

Depending if on your setup, most of these motors we are using on this forum at 1.9Nm - 2.9Nm torque making the 8Nm on the magnetic coupler more than strong enough for direct drive, but if you toss a gear reduction and go that route it may not be enough with large prop and the torque it requires.

@pacificmeister whats the plan for coupling the 360kv motor to the PLE040 gearbox, as the 360kv has a 10mm shaft instead of 8mm.

Hi Pacificmeister, been following your good work. I got a few questions about the overall system.

You have been using the SSS 500kva motor with a reduction gear box 5:1, so was this because the motor was struggling to get going, so u reduced the rpm to make it easier to spin the prop?
motor max RPM=46,000 @Max v = 88V
Was this running the motor using 2 x 22000mAh 6S 22V battery’s in series so 44V, then giving a max RPM approx of 22,000 then reducing the rpm by 5:1 so prop was running approx 4,000 rpm.
Or
Was this running the motor using 1 x 22000mAh 6S 22V battery, so 22v RPM approx 11,000 then reducing the rpm by 5:1 so prop was running approx 2,200 rpm.
Last related question.
What you thing your running amps are once on the foil? 20-30A…how long the batteries last with the battery setup?

Hello Everyone!
So exciting to be in this forum. I live next to a beautiful lake in France and it’s time to fly it with a foil.

In regard to the motor selection topic, the SSS motors come in a range of 350kv to 500kv.

WHICH ONE IS IDEAL??

12S. Direct drive vs gears: More info here: Propulsion System - Motors, Gears, etc - Propulsion System (Motor, Gears) - FOIL.zone.

Damn! Thanks for pointing this out @g.gregory8. Didn’t see that. Maybe I try something new with it, like this belt (or meshed gear) system: Propulsion System - Motors, Gears, etc - #90 by pacificmeister - Propulsion System (Motor, Gears) - FOIL.zone

I’d take the lowest KV that has an 8mm shaft if you want to go with the Neugart. See discussions about gearbox life related to input speed.

Hi guys! Hope you are all having a great week!

I was speaking to alien power again yesterday,
There new brushless inrunner should be ready very soon.

Here are the stats

5 Likes

have you tested this motor yet? seems its only 1800 - 2200W and wondering if you are getting the torque you need. What side impeller are you using for this?

DavidC, thanks for the info. Sounds too good to be true… I hope it is! Any other specs: shaft diameter, price, wire exit point (would be problematic if not from rear)?

Thank you @pacificmeister I almost didn’t notice that crucial detail.

yes, its going to be great!
I have been working with Bruno for a while for parts, ESC and custom motor. Fantastic guy to work with and they use really high-end bearings, SKF and Japanese depending on specific motor specs…

1 Like

I’m currently ordering the PLE40 i=5 for my build as per the pacificmeister stl files. I have 3 options for the motor adaption. See the attached picture. @pacificmeister could you please assist with which option is best. Also I’m guessing the round shaft is better then the keyed shaft. Is that correct.
thankyou

1 Like

My design works with the very right option, the universal flange without a special motor adapter. I also have a keyed shaft. I pulled the key out and the groove in the shaft helps to grab the set screw of the shaft adapter.

1 Like

Hey man ! That’s all the info I have received for now! It’s an inrunner so the wires will more than likely exit from the back of the motor. By the looks of there website they can do 8-10mm shafts with shaft keys or without .

Not too sure on the price, I’ll let you know when I get a reply from them .

Thanks , David.

1 Like

Are you waiting on the same motor? From alien? What batteries are you looking at using?

Cheers, David.

No Im not getting that motor, but keep in mind you can customize most things about the motor with Bruno at no charge. KV, shaft length, diameter, keyed, “D” shaft, smooth or ribbed Can etc…

1 Like

hi everyone, I found those 2 motors 130KV 15KW and 27KV 35KW, do you think it will be ok underwater? thk Dave

We all are waiting for Bruno :nerd_face:

3 Likes