Propulsion System - Motors, Gears, etc

If anyone want to give a go on remodeling from this prop (torqeedo prop) I can UPS it to you for free

1 Like

Can someone tell me why a gearbox might be required?
Why cant the motor be run without the gearbox?

Where are you based Hugo?

sweden, but I can ship world wide no problem

Hi to everybody, I’m on the early stages of putting together my efoil, thanks to Pacificmeister and all of you guys to have gathered so many detailed info together in this forum, my first choice went for an SSS 360Kv motor, which now must be coupled to a planetary gearbox.
Sent many inquiries thru Alibaba to many Chinese producers, it seems they all have similar standards PL 40 or 42 gearbox, with bushes in place of needle bearings, rated to 10K rpm at best, some of them even less.
So I start looking into the Reisenauer, which seems more suited for hi-rpm, but what I miss here is how to couple this to SSS 360kv.
Other than the 10mm motor shaft issue, no big deal, the Reisenauer miss an input shaft with bearing, it seems made as gear-head bolted straight onto RC motors, while here I need to fit a 8/10 coupler and a proper spacer motor-to-planetary. Does anybody already tried this solution? I can’t find Virus mounting scheme…
Thank you!

hello guys, thanks for everyone for this fantastic forum! Amazing!

I found a PLE-40 on ebay. It may not be the right one, but it may be overworked.
https://goo.gl/nX8F8p

1 Like

2 weeks, the french distributor ask me 12 weeks :’(

Hey Guys,
Any word from Bruno on the unicorns and rainbows filled motor from alien ?

4 Likes

Hi guys,
I not a mechanical designer and looking for a bit of help to understand the Pacificmiester design regarding the Thrust bearing.
So the Thrust bearing takes the axial load from the pushing propeller off the gearbox, the PLE 40 only has regular ball bearings which are not for strong axial forces. So the coupler needs to be tight against the thrust bearing is this correct?

Does the Thrust bearing washers need to be notched around the key way, do the washers need to spin with the shaft? Is the key way needed?

Good questions. I saw that thrust bearing in the @Hiorth design and thought it was a great idea to extend gearbox life. I took the shaft key out and tried to mount that coupler as tight to the washer as possible. So in theory if the shaft gets pushed into the thrust bearing and it should take some axial load.

1 Like

We also took away the shaft key as @pacificmeister . There is a small amount of play in the gearbox shaft, pull it outwards before putting on the coupler. Press the coupler inwards before tightening. Both shaft should be notched where the set screw goes, to prevent that the shaft slips so the thrust goes on the gearbox shaft.

In an ideal world there should be NO axial forces on the gearbox (it can handle some, but not as much as we´d like). Ideally there should also be a soft coupling (some flex between the gearbox shaft and propeller shaft) to take away shock loads, but this requires much more parts and takes up space.

We reduced shock loads on the gearbox by adding a soft start/stop with a micro controller that sends the throttle signal to the ESC :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey
Will go this route too.
Got my hands already on a SSS56114-390kv orderd from TFL Hobby, really fast delivery with 2 days!
Will try to mount it with a Reisenauer Motor Chief.
As you mentioned its maybe needet to do a new mountingplate and a coupler/adapter for the 10mm Shaft.
Would like to try using some flex couplings on both sides to reduce impacts on the gearbox.

It will add some length of course but it could be also a big benefit to improve gearbox lifetime !?!

Cheers
Jens

Nice coupling! My concern about using a coupler motor/gearbox is that the Reisenauer doesn’t have an input bearing, it’s ment to be mounted attached to motor.
As soon as my 360kv will arrive, I will lathe the shaft down to 8mm to fit the Reisenauer 4:1 gear, then build a metal flange to couple it to the SSS motor.
I ordered the motor on eBay… It will take forever to arrive! :frowning:

That looks like a Nice coupler. My intuition tells me that it’s most important to have it on the output side of the gearbox, but I might be wrong. I think there is a good idea to use at least 2 ball bearings (with some distance) and thrust bearing(s) for axial loads both directions (forward and reverse) on the propeller shaft. To keep it from wobbeling.

Given the lack of commercially available motors that look immediately suitable; is it time to be looking to scale and 3d print a motor?

3 Likes

Yes definitely the way to go. At the moment I we are researching building a 3D printable Rim driven Thruster. Basically a BLDC permanent magnet motor with a propeller in the center. The axial and radial forces will be sustained by bearings in the center, the same way as in this picture.

I think a working prototype can be made from SLS nylon maybe PLA, but the final version needs some sort of metal reinforcement. Especially the stator for the magnetic coils, and arms supporting the propeller axle needs to be quite strong and not made of plastic.

5 Likes

Hey guys! I know it’s been talked about a lot,
But has anyone had any look with the 80mm water cooled brushless outrunner from alien. Would pumping a lot of water through it while it’s enclosed in a tube be enough ?

Cheers , David.

1 Like

Orderd yesterday the Motor-Chief from Reisenauer.
Going with 1:5 Reduction, motorspur boring is only 6mm.
But i decide for the Motorchief because Mr Reisenauer says that its the strongest.
So two options for me, lathe down the Motorshaft, OR
Build a kind of Adapter for the Input side with ballbearings and coupler.

If the parts arrive i will post some pictures too see whats maybe the best option.
I guess you a right with that the Output side is more important to protect from "high load"
On the Input side the VESC will limit the possible peaks i hope (-;
Cheers
Jens

Well, most motors run at quite a high RPM. Running motors at such a high RPM causes cavitation, therefore we use a gearbox which reduces the RPM! You can you a higher RPM, but then you’ll need a small prop :slight_smile:

Start watching at (2:20), by this principal couldn’t we add more blades to eliminate the cavitation?