Propulsion System - Motors, Gears, etc

Thanks Jezza, great info!
Will you get more torque with more poles?

If we just could get our hands on these motors :wink:

Hi All

I found this 500KV SSS 56123 motor which it is 122mm long with more torque for those of you who are using reduction gear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SSS-56123-500KV-Brushless-Motor-6-Poles-RC-Boats-Electric-Surfboard-Hydrofoil/233221128082

1 Like

The list of potential candidates is getting shorter and shorter…

what do you think about this engine

https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/33004653063.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.1.371940337KS5A1&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.128125.0&scm_id=1007.13338.128125.0&scm-url=1007.13338.128125.0&pvid=c29e2dac-4599-4022-9d69-74dcb63da072

1 Like

As I mentioned in another post they have more powerful one, costs 550usd and rated 2800wt and 62mm diameter (as per the seller, still not proof that those are real numbers)

Gearbox alternative. If you don’t find a Neugart, Parker or whatever is the standard in most of the gearboxed builds here. I have been using this now for a couple of hours and it seems to work just fine. No grinding noise or extensive heat. I am using plastic mounts and they are not melting so it is propably within acceptable limits.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/dY4E62mtd

And here is a fusion 360 file to fit it to any SSS56XX motor.

Cheers

3 Likes

I bought this for 550 US I am waiting for a shipment. I’ll let you know how it worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

5 Likes

Nice to hear about the reliability of this cheaper option. I’m in the process of getting the right gearbox at my door with this supplier… for approx 40days right now… the communication is clear with the seller but they delivered a 10:1 gearbox instead of a 5:1. The return shipping was fast (DHL) but the processing at Hongjun company slow. Still waiting for the second shipment with the right gearbox. So be aware for some struggling, but it might just be (my) bad luck.

Nice ! Which motor is that ?

The one I was talking about above. A direct drive that will get you up on 12s (bearing in mind I am 90kg). I think it will push better with 14s though.
But it give a good idea of what a direct drive inrunner should look like for our purposes. The quality is exceptional!

Better take a good care when closing it !

Good luck! The seller said that it has static thrust of up to 15kg. Hopefully dinamic is more.

Please keep us updated how it goes!

That is one cutting edge motor! What speeds can you get out of it?

Sorry to hear that. Getting through a project like this obviously forces you to put your faith in many unreliable suppliers for quite expensive parts. My communication and delivery process with this supplier was quite efficient and clean.

You mean that this is the motor from Lifts efoil?

What you think about building this motors our self? Could we buy these stators or do we need to have them custom made.
The rotor seems to be separated square neodym magnets.

If you got a similar stator and rotor I don’t see why it would be hard to build (there must be places that can make them custom for us). Winding isn’t super complex and configuring the bearings isn’t hard either.

Is this motor the Reached Tech 65160. The fully waterproof one. If it is, it looks like it might be worth the 400Usd price tag.

Definitely not the reacher tech motor. This is from another direct drive unit that’s already proven and sold many units.

So from where you got this motor?