Prop design share

Hi, I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to prop design, will this prop fit and work on a 100kv flipsky motor ?
Thanks

1 Like

I made one for my Flipsky, but not tested.

If it fits I will try it, cheers.

Hi MaB
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with 3d printing the props!! I just got a spool og Polymaker PC-Max today and started printing the 140-230 prop this morning. The print unfortunately failed because of the wings lifted of the print bed, print was 50% done, but I noticed that the layer adhesion wasn’t very good, when bending the half-finished prop.

Could you maybe share your print settings and your experience printing with PC-Max? Temps, speed, layer height, line width etc.? And did you anneal the prop afterwards in an oven?

Thanks again for your prop contribution!

Ask to see the workpiece

If someone is interested, here is a 3d model close to the one FR used to reach 50kmh the first time :
Generated using the same software, I do not have that much time to tinker the different parameters so I share it “as it”.

150 mm diameter
45mm hub
high pitch (to be calculated)

7 Likes

Cool. I printed it, without support. Kinda okay, but very thin, could you share a version with is slightly thicker?
Regards

1 Like

Some pictures please.

Yeah, this prop is made to be CNC’ed. You’d get way better results trying to make it in alu. I would suggest anyone wanting to mill it to use 7075-t6. That’s what FR is using. This particular al is aerospace grade bu is not corrosive resistant, meaning you have to anodize it afterwards. Here too, I would suggest hard anodizing with 50µm at least.

I will try to upload a thicker version if I can but I can’t promise for now.

Thanks,I only can print. But it looks good, just a little fragile. I appreciate your help,
Cheerio

Have you got any tips for the shroud? My new 3D printer arrived and I can print that missing part now.
What profile should I use?
How many struts?
What angle is best?
How much clearance is best?

As a starting point, have look at Pacificmeisters build, there is a parametric prop and duct. You could adapt that parametric duct to your needs. It has six struts. I printed a modified version to fit my prop. It is printed in ASA-X and with 6 struts it’s fairly stable.

1 Like

As PLA+ is not available in my country, should I use PolyMAx PLA: https://www.3djake.ch/de-CH/polymaker/polymax-pla-schwarz
or Polycarbonate: https://www.3djake.ch/de-CH/polymaker/pc-max-schwarz
to print a prop?
Any experience with either of the above materials?
I assume PLA to be easier to print.

I made a caeses b-series prop for 80100 motor, i’m having it printed right now. The generated geometry looks quite good, looking forward to trying it!

It’s defined to be slow to match heavy weight rider with large wing and high drag

Generated by Caeses B-series propeller generator, inputs:
Dia. 150mm
4kw@4krpm
13.5 knots speed
3 blade, 15 deg rake
Axle dia 12mm
Hole pattern to match c80100 motor

2 Likes

I was also playing with the Caeses B-series propeller generator, what did you choose for root thickness and minimum blade thickness? Not sure what the minimum for a 3d printed prop would be that it does not break. Any real world values? Prop diameter 150mm.

I let the program generate automatically with plastic as selected material. Prop will be 3d-printed with carbon fiber reinforced filament.

I have used solid PLA blades of max 2,5mm thickness on earlier props without breakage

Did you use the full version of Caeses or just the online generator?

just online generator.

For some reason when I use the online generator with plastic it stops me adjusting the hub size… Do you also have that limitation?

yes, i have same limitation, fixed it in the CAD program i use