project_BeerWolf build

I run mine hard and last time I examined it all was good. When you run it hard in air, the shaft seems to heat up faster than the rest of the gear. In the torqeedo case this is cooled directly by the water so not a problem. I also have alu spacers and heatsinks to help any heat build up too.

You mean 1003 right ?

How long is the shaft on this gearbox ? do you still need thrust bearing with this configuration ?

1 Like

Yeah I mean that one. Wow they have put up the price! I paid 150 when I bought it.
No thrust bearing needed. I can’t remember exact length, I can find my drawings though and then update.
With the way I have designed my outer case. It’s long enough to have a duct (if you want one) and a decent prop.

150€ is a crazy price, it is indeed waaaaay cheaper than a conventional PLE gearbox + coupler at this price. Lucky you :smile:

Thank you !

It definitely is a point to worry about in my opinion. A turbine spinning at 60k rpm is different to a gear spinning at 30k rpm because there is less (only bearings in the turbine) metal to metal contact and the gear has direct contact via the gear teeth with other gears. The little motor gear spinning at 30k rpm would be spinning 500 times per second, that’s a huge amount of heat build up and wear generated on the sun gear. You can only imagine how much metal to metal contact is experienced by the gears at this speed. Especially considering how small it is for the power output!

edit: I just realised you were saying you used a PLE40 at 60k rpm, that’s very surprising but good to know, my bad for not realising what you said…

I guess it also depends how much longevity you want out of the gearbox. How many hours of hard running did you put on it before checking the condition?

I was looking at it 1 1/2 Years ago and here in ch CH the price seems the same (CHF 240.-). The problem I had was that no one wanted to sell me the Motor gear (http://www.torqeedospares.co.uk/download/Spare_parts_list_Travel_503_1003.pdf) page 18, pos 3

It’s not on the Webshop and the contact of the shop told me to ask a local repair center what I did, but they never answered.
It looks like this one (Motor Gear UL - Torqeedo), although it’s not sold as a spare part for the 1003.

Never bought it because without the motor gear its useless unless you can build your own motor gear to connect the torquedo planetary gear.

I don’t understand. Both items seems to available for shipping in Switzerland. I just put both of them in my shopping cart and I know I can go further and order them for a delivery in EU without a problem if I wanted to (Torqeedo seems to ship to my country)

Yes but the gear as a spare part to the 1003 is not available in the web shop and the one I found (Motor Gear UL - Torqeedo) looks similar but it is not sure that it fits as it is sold as a spare part for the 403 which is smaller. But you can ask a local torquedo repair center if they can order it for you.
030-00012 Motor gear T1003

Oh, now I got it !

All right, thanks for the tip !

Will know soon, I went for the 5694 1000kv, 12kW 240A. Efficiency is not the point here just need for speed

2 Likes

This will be awesome, make sure you get a solid recording of it!!

I know someone here that would call this unit a « tug boat propulsion » :smile:

Just saying, coz I do love this expression @MaB :slight_smile:

I respect everyone’s work, so this is absolutely not criticism, furthermore I would love to see it working !

To be fair I haven’t really measured the time, but the gear is hardened so should last. It’s also used in electric outboards so must get quite a lot of abuse there. I’ll ride it till it wears out and then see.

1 Like

A fast tug boat then hahaha

2 Likes