Pacificmeister Build Info and CAD Sources

Nope, I didn’t get back to this. sorry.

I printed the mat flange with the cable glands and made a test of waterproofness but in static … no leak … I silicone mounting screw threads of the glands.

@pacificmeister

First of all - thanks for posting these amazing resources!

I am attempting a build based on your design and at the moment there is a long delivery time (12 weeks!) for the Neugart PL40 5:1 drive. However, 8:1 are available. What are your thoughts on using this ratio instead? I will be using a SSS 56104 500 Kv motor and a VESC 6.

Could the pitch of the prop be adjusted to compensate? Or should I simply wait for the 5:1 gearbox?

Also, it would be interesting to hear if anyone has sucessfully used any of the Chinese copies of the Neugart gearbox.

Hello ,
Do you think that the VESC6 can resist the amperage asked to get out of the water …?

It is a VESC 6.4. Do you think it is too small?
It is rated 80A continous 120A burst.
At 12s the power would be about 50v x 120A = 6Kw burst and 4K2 continous.
I have not been able to find out how long “burst” could be sustained, but I guess cooling is an important factor. Do you have any figures?

What are your expericences with the VESC? Would you select a Seaking 130A-HV V3 ESC instead?

8:1 should work while it lasts. My first build had a Parker 7:1 and it worked fine until it stripped. You may need to adjust prop a little but I’d start with the 4 blade and see. The 5:1 or 4:1 ratios are supposed to be a little more robust for max torque and max rpm, because of the size of the planets. That was the main reason I went to 5:1.

Thanks for the advice! I will try the 8:1 and see!

This is a question for anyone using a hobby wing 130ahv esc.

Is everyone got water cooling for the esc? Or are you using a alumium plate as a heat sink to the boards external surface

I have not got any esc cooling just a aluminium lid. I am having problems with the board cutting out then motor beeps , then when I leave for a couple minutes it back to normal. This have only started since I using a bigger prop 160mm seems be be struggling for power ( other prop 130mm no issues )

Have anyone else had similar issues.

Hi all! New builder here after discovering this thread yesterday. Looking at exploring the use of a cheap chinese PLE60 (ignoring longevity issues for now), with square flanges turned down to the 57mm housing diameter on a lathe - this way the gearbox can be watercooled through the Aluminium housing as is done for the motor. Will update as to the success of this idea!

Just a quick question though @pacificmeister - I notice in your Rev3 that you are using an openable O-ring solution for the rear attachment of the Al tubing - but I can’t see any sort of fixing that holds the rear printed parts on? Obviously the thrust will be pushing it on, however I can imagine prop drag pulling the whole motor/gearbox assembly straight out into the water if this were the case - I therefore assume there is some attachment hiding in there somewhere?

Cheers!
Max

Welcome Max, see here: Pacificmeister Build Info and CAD Sources - #346 by pacificmeister - Builds - FOIL.zone

1 Like

This is my current approx layout fyi - using a 30204 tapered roller bearing to take the thrust. Also moved the final bearing and oil seals around:

2 Likes

Thanks @pacificmeister! I was going to go with the set screws, good to know you’ve done the same.

Hello , I am still concerned about the tightness of the engine compartment. After every exit on the water, I find the equivalent of a glass of water in the engine. This is a 56104 500 kV engine with the Neugart PLE40 gearbox. I installed seals
toric in 50x3. .5 mm, and two SPI shaft end joints with ceramic bearing like Pacificmeister, nothing works, you had ideas to propose to me

Hi, did you do static tests like leaving your foil drowned in water one night… if you don’t have water the next day it’s probably from your axis. Which oscillates the latter not being perfectly straight… and therefore the water enters through the spinnaker joints.

I don’t have fusion 360 and i need help extracting the stl files for the the AXIS-2018-SUP-SURF-Foil-92cm-Wing-60cm-Mast-450x450

Axis mast adapter.

Could someone please help me as the stl i downloaded up the top of the thread won’t fit my Axis mast.

thanks in advance.

Hello rcjetman
you have to make a picture of your mat alone seen from above like my attached picture and give me the dimension in mm, and I will modify the fusion file and residue it in STL

1 Like

Hi,

In the list of materiels given by @pacificmeister, we could find FVT 8A adjustable UBEC for 12S but now the link give an UBEC for 8s.
Anybody knows if it is a mistake or where could you find this but in 12S ?
Thanks a lot.

You are right @cristophe, when I bought it it was advertised up to 12S… strange. Maybe they had too many efoil builders frying them :slight_smile:

It is not a good news. Never had a problem with this. Probably a good chinese ubec :joy: we could plug this on one battery, on the balancing plug. But I don’t like.
If someone have a solution or could advice a another good ubec, I am ok.

I used to have that UBEC. It shorted out and possibly was the root cause of my seaking burning.
I now use the one below for 12 volts with no problems.

1 Like