New Direct Drive Inrunner 65150

I highly recommend a Ampere, Volt, Wattmeter in every build. It ist cheap, easy Integration in every build and very precice for such a cheap meter
And you always have a quick Overview about your battery

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/eBAp8kCo

1 Like

45 min at 32Ah Sounds already quite good. I thought it’s only possible to see the current on the new remote if you are using a VESC.

Thanks for sharing @theone. Just started my design today and then remembered that you posted something. Curious to see this unfold. I see that you’re going the route of no mast penetration which is interesting/appealing. Any reason for doing this other than not wanting to put holes in your mast?Haven’t seen too many of those and will have to dig up some builds that do that.

They also have a version with the receiver leads going out of the enclosure. This would circumvent radio issues when mounting the ESC in places other than the top. I assume you found this wasn’t necessary and preferred the all-in-one simplicity of everything inside? I like that too but part of me likes modularity :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the Reachertech 300A esc which comes from the same manufacturer. I thought I might try and design a passive heatsinks, so I opened it up to have a look.

I couldn’t be more pleased with the quality at this price point. There is another cooling plate between the electronics and all the thermal paste work looks really well done.

I think anyone who doesn’t need all the features of a VESC should just buy the ESC that is designed for the 65161.

Just a little teaser…

Now I need to do some testing…

8 Likes

Okay, now you need to really share the design cad files.

Folding! Nice.
What diameter and pitch?
Are the connected with “gears” or can they fold independently?

I still think the most dangerous part is the wing. The prop comes to a fast stop when you release the throttle

They can fold independently. The prop is designed for surf foiling. There’s no added safety aspect with a folding prop. Diameter is around 150mm, pitch I’m not too sure as I never bothered measuring it (but visually close on the standard FR prop). It should work nicely with this motor though.

I thought the same for surf but I was wrong, the prop is not a problem for surfing with a good remote, is very important a long throttle to have precise and efficient control on waves. I’m playng surfing every day

Of course the prop drag is a problem for surfing, Hence why you are needing precise control on waves.
If you remove the drag, then the throttle will not matter and it will handle more like a standard surf foil.

no friend! It’s another sport, the power is now in your hand, you’ll never want a feeling of natural surfing, just precision control to get perfect power on the wave at every moment. That´s my experience, and I’m surfer, kitesurfer, paddlesup surfer, and now efoilsurfer, haha :wink:

While I respect your opinion, and that you have some experience in the field, you are discounting the facts that:
1: You’re making the assumption that everyone wants to ride like you under power on a wave, which some don’t. Some want the motor only for assistance getting into waves and then back out again, but want to surf freely. This also comes in handy for long downwind runs and massively extends range and battery life. With a folding prop you can do this (already proven by Lift), but with a static prop you always need power.
2: Quoting credentials is pointless as you don’t actually know whether or not I’m more experienced or more qualified than you :wink:

Have you tried your Maytech motor yet?

Are you surfing efoil Jezza? :wink:
I also respect your opinion
So I prefer talking about my experience, ok?
When surfing efoil, especially medium or small waves , you always are playing with the thottle, the power of the wave is now in your hand, ok? you can dance with the wave but more power is yours for get the better place on wave. Play with the power is the best experience for surfing!

1. A fix propeller is always more efficient and less problems thas a fold prop
  2. Yes, you can play different styles in the same sport, you can play freestyle, race, natural, etc styles, but remember, for surfing you need speed to get a better position in the wave, and a foil surfboard is not the same than efoil, efoil is +20kg and more…
    I am sure that folding propellers will not be used to surf, only a fad at first.
1 Like

FYI if anyone is ordering from flipsky. You can get 5% off with the code WELCOMEBACK I got the code after signing in and leaving stuff in my cart for a day or two without ordering.

6 Likes

I surf everything (except for SUP’s because I just don’t enjoy it).
On my foil when I cut throttle, the glide ratio is pretty bad because of resistance from the prop and I definitely can’t keep the board on the wing with pumping it. It will be very interesting to see how this changes with the folding prop.

I’m not worried about the efficiency of the prop to be honest. I’m more worried about the drag coefficient of the fixed vs folding blades. If there is a significant increase in glide with the folding prop, then it’s super easy to switch out blades to perfect the efficiency.

An easy way to test this would be to take the prop off and paddle into a wave and see how it surfs…

1 Like

I like the idea of a folding prop.

I see both of your points of view. But, the power off down wind runs would be great if this heavy of a board could stay on foil on ocean swell with the prop folded.

Did anyone have a slingshot mast mount they would be willing to share for this motor?

I assume you looking for a 3d printable file? I think my old mount for my first build should be very close to this motor. It might just need a few dimensions changed.