New Direct Drive Inrunner 65150

who is using the 65161 with an VESC?

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

I am. Why do you ask?

Witch one and 12s12p?

I just started trying to set my flipsky 200 VESC up with this motor and maytech remote. This is my first time using vesc and I really have no clue what im doing. Trying to follow random youtube videos. I got through the motor setup wizard but when I try and run the input setup wizard I get an error telling me that I need to update the firmware on the vesc in order to use this version of VESC tool.

When I go to the firmware update page the only firmware options I have is hardware version 60 and firmware version VESC_DEFAULT.bin. Is this the one you guys are using? I saw on some videos that 410,411,412 version but that’s not in my list. What are you guys using? Any advice for me? Am I doing this right?

Dowload vesctools v2, the last one available. It should work with older FW.
I also run Flipsky 200 with a 65161 motor and it works great !

1 Like

Thanks. I am using the most recent VESC tool (2.02). I got it to sort of work I think I just had to update the firmware on the vesc itself. I was confused at the hardware type in the list that said 60. I read that using the wrong hardware type can brick the vesc. I did some googling though and found out that the hardware version 60 means Version 6.xx. Flipsky VESC is V6.6.

** Edit: I think this is just because the VESC now runs current control* **I was able to get the setup wizard to run and get it to recognize the maytech remote but im not sure its setup quite right. It seems like the throttle trigger is extremely sensitive. LIke starts spinning at 20% throttle and spins full rpm at like 25% throttle. I have it calibrated so that full throttle is 100% and when I let off the trigger completely it is at 0% (centered). Im just running the motor without the prop right now and no load (motor filled with CorrosionX). Is this normal and would I get more throttle modulation with the motor under load?

Another problem I am having is that I can get the maytech remote display to show any of the info from the VESC. Are there any particular settings on the VESC I need to select? I have the remote setup in VESC mode and can see the data displays but they just don’t read any info. I was reading this post by @pacificmeister saying that this feature doesn’t work with the newer firmware. Seems like V3.58 worked. I am not sure where to get these older versions of the firmware though and if I did get the older version I am not sure if the latest VESCtool 2.0 will work with it. Anyone else run into this?

I have the VESC 75/300 running on a 14s14p battery.

I have the flier 400a red boat ESC running the 65161 motor for my other board. Also on 14s14p

:call_me_hand:

I haven’t been able to get VESC data to display on my maytech remote either. But, I think maybe the Maytech receiver is designed backwards and the TX RX wire need to be cross connected. I read something to that effect in the maytech instructions. Haven’t tried it yet…

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I have the white Flier Boat 400, the Flipsky 65161, a 12s12p Akku and the cheap 36$ remote ( at moment )

I am not happy with the start up in that configuration . The motor does not really running smoothly.

I also make in summer a second configuration with an APS 63100 and thus small Motor really running nice.

So I am searching for the best VESC for this motor.
I not want take a normal ESC because I want later connect metr or a better remote.

The VESC what are you using is a Tampra?

Greetings from Austria, Robert

If you run current control, the motors spin to max speed really fast (around 2A for full speed usually).
I think that current control is the best way to foil. Once on the water, you will be able to control the motor way more precisely.

Regarding Maytech, I haven’t received mine yet but check the drawigs in maytech’s website. All the infos are there.
And as already said, sometimes Rx and Tx are misplaced. You can try reversing it.

1 Like

You were spot on thanks! I just flipped the RX and TX wires and it works great. RX on VESC goes to TX on the receiver. This is outlined in the Maytech instructions as well. For me I had to flip the pins on my jst connector.

Flipsky 200A VESC + VESCtool V2.02+ VESC 6.xx firmware + Maytech V2 remote = success! I get full feedback on the remote display and its awesome! RPM, Voltage, current, temps! Very cool!

5 Likes

Sorry guys, but it is logical that in serial connections you must connect Transmit Date on the other Side with Receive Data :wink:

1 Like

Have you tested the motor under load? The not sounds smooth might just be because the motor isn’t under load. Mine sounds “crunchy” too, but under load it is very smooth and quiet.

1 Like

Yes. It is the best, and most expensive VESC

Tramps 75/300. Can handle 75 volts and 300 amps.

1 Like

Okay, I will try it when all is finished and see how it is under load.

I saw the price, cheap is something other :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Just got back from a test ride with the new flipsky Vesc. IT WAS AWESOME. Im never buying another standard ESC again. The motor was super smooth and I really liked the current control. It was also really nice to know that there is a current limiter, temp limiter and a reliable low voltage cutoff. Having the current, voltage and temp info on the maytech remote was awesome too since i cant really see the screen on my battery box while I am riding.

I rode for probably 35 minutes on 2X 20Ah 6s turnigy lipo’s (12s,20Ah) and stopped right around 39V. I was riding pretty hard too. Once I hit 39V the VESC is set to reduce power to a point where i can no longer foil but can get back to shore on my stomach.

The only issue I had was that the current limiter seemed to not let me draw anymore than like 65A. This made starting out a little tricky as I had to put alot of weight forward on the board while planing to get enough speed up then after trying to build up speed for a few seconds could lean back and just barely get it up on the foil. Once up on the foil though, it had plenty of power and i could probably get to around 18-20MPH. I have the motor and battery current limit set to like 120A but for some reason it only let me get to like 65A max. Has anyone else had this problem? I was thinking that maybe it was the way that my remote throttle input in scaled? Like maybe the VESC is reading 100% throttle on the remote as only 75% or something? How do you guys have your remote input configured? Do you use the current control with brake setting (no reverse) and have the bar graph on the setup wizard set to read 0% throttle with no trigger depressed and then 100% with the trigger pulled in all the way? Any other settings I should check? I need to check my throttle mapping to make sure full trigger is really 100% power

Here is a quick vid from the test run today! https://youtu.be/hvgoTsfnWZA

2 Likes

Well done !!
Did you have experience with efoil / foils before ?

Could it be you have your maximum ERPM setting set too low?

I have been working on building my own and occasionally getting to ride them when they feel like working for like 2 and a half years now. I did get to ride a lift efoil once for about 30 minutes. Other than that, just riding foils behind boats now and then.

@Flightjunkie im pretty sure my ERPM is at the default setting which is like 9999999 or something. It definitely seems like a current limit thing since I didnt have much power at the start but once I am up on the foil the thing flies. I wonder if I need to set my motor RPM alot higher. Apparently, motor RPM is typically alot higher than battery current. Since I think the 65A Max I am seeing is battery current, maybe its hitting the motor current limit before the battery current even gets close to its limit.

You might need to increase your motor current, having a low motor current limit pretty much reduces the low end power, low end power is needed to easily plane as you can imagine.

When you are going slow the battery current isn’t exceeding 65 amps because if it does the motor current limit would be exceeded. I would increase the motor current to 160a.

1 Like