New Direct Drive Inrunner 65150

@virus said he was gonna get the maytech ESC and test it. But, I never hear any more updates from him. Not sure if that means more motor and ESC compatibility issues or not…

I’m curious to hear who all had this motor type up and running, and what ESC have worked for them.

I’m riding this setup every day and works perfect, highly recommended!! all parts of Maytech, 100kv motor, remote and 300A ESC , I was problems with Maytech remotes, yes, but I’m continued saying that this remote is the best thanks to the long potenciometer, very important for surfing, my favourite style on efoil. Now I’m waiting for the v2 Maytech remote, I expect the same control and more updates, I think has better signal and better waterproof protection. I’m also waiting for the new Maytech 300A ESC, 100% waterproof ESC with ubec and receiver inside. I think its perfect to make a simple desing.
I’m planing a new efoil desing, very simple without compartments on deck, direct, waterproof and very important, lighter.

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing what you share. As for the waterproof ESC: would you still put that in a box to allow for waterproof connections, or would you make simple waterproof connectors at this individual points? Would love to see a closeup if your nose cone to see how you handled a passive water intake.

1 Like

Thx for the update @virus. Confirm you are already using the maytech 300 amp ESC?

What prop have you found works best. And do I dare ask…do you have any prop or motor mount files or specs you would be willing to share?

I’m still waiting on my motor. Trying to build what I can now.

There has been a lack of CAD files for this motor. And unfortunately…when I build mine, it will be by hand so I won’t have files to share.

I am playing with fusion360 though. So, if I can get my head wrapped around that software, anything is possible! :rofl:

:call_me_hand:

Yes I’m using the Maytech 300A ESC in this moment and cooling without pump, water direct similar to liftfoils.
My new efoil will be a minimalist desing, always carbon fiber material and molds by hand, of course. My final prop for 100kv motor is the yamaha prop and cut to 130mm diameter.

The waterproof ESC with ubec and receiver inside no needs double protection compartment, more simple for place and less problems. Especially when you are making prototypes

1 Like

Thanks @virus. Looks great. Looks like I may be joining shortly on the full Maytech build. Though I wish there were others that have used the ESC. I’m asking lots of questions from Maytech and will report back with my build/use when it arrives. Though unfortunately it won’t be from the perspective of someone that has a lot of experience with ESC’s. My area of least knowledge at this point is props though. So hopefully I can learn from others here and perhaps others than are specifically using this setup. Once I know what I’m doing there, I can start designing mounts, guards, etc. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction with some things I can print and test with that are appropriate.

Could you already measure the consumption at20/25/30 km/h ?

I cant do it with this Maytech ESC but I will when the new remote arrives.
I have the same times of ride than my other geared propulsion aprox. 45min 12s 32Ah but I cant say you a precision data in this moment, sorry!

I highly recommend a Ampere, Volt, Wattmeter in every build. It ist cheap, easy Integration in every build and very precice for such a cheap meter
And you always have a quick Overview about your battery

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/eBAp8kCo

1 Like

45 min at 32Ah Sounds already quite good. I thought it’s only possible to see the current on the new remote if you are using a VESC.

Thanks for sharing @theone. Just started my design today and then remembered that you posted something. Curious to see this unfold. I see that you’re going the route of no mast penetration which is interesting/appealing. Any reason for doing this other than not wanting to put holes in your mast?Haven’t seen too many of those and will have to dig up some builds that do that.

They also have a version with the receiver leads going out of the enclosure. This would circumvent radio issues when mounting the ESC in places other than the top. I assume you found this wasn’t necessary and preferred the all-in-one simplicity of everything inside? I like that too but part of me likes modularity :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the Reachertech 300A esc which comes from the same manufacturer. I thought I might try and design a passive heatsinks, so I opened it up to have a look.

I couldn’t be more pleased with the quality at this price point. There is another cooling plate between the electronics and all the thermal paste work looks really well done.

I think anyone who doesn’t need all the features of a VESC should just buy the ESC that is designed for the 65161.

Just a little teaser…

Now I need to do some testing…

8 Likes

Okay, now you need to really share the design cad files.

Folding! Nice.
What diameter and pitch?
Are the connected with “gears” or can they fold independently?

I still think the most dangerous part is the wing. The prop comes to a fast stop when you release the throttle

They can fold independently. The prop is designed for surf foiling. There’s no added safety aspect with a folding prop. Diameter is around 150mm, pitch I’m not too sure as I never bothered measuring it (but visually close on the standard FR prop). It should work nicely with this motor though.

I thought the same for surf but I was wrong, the prop is not a problem for surfing with a good remote, is very important a long throttle to have precise and efficient control on waves. I’m playng surfing every day

Of course the prop drag is a problem for surfing, Hence why you are needing precise control on waves.
If you remove the drag, then the throttle will not matter and it will handle more like a standard surf foil.