New Builder, Need all and any Advice

Also some people noted that the signal on these sometimes fluctuate a bit but you can probably get rid of that with an arduino and bit of coding

1 Like

Would you recommend getting all of the components from flying rodeo, or are there other options I should look into?

Ok, thank you for the heads up.

You should definitely look into other options as well, for example Lift also sells some parts on their website https://liftfoils.com/ (if you buy the board only option from the lift website it already includes an esc as well…) you can make the board yourself as well with materials mostly from Home Depot …
If you have ever worked with composite materials before (carbon fiber .fiberglass,etc…)it shouldn’t be a big deal to do…
It all depends on your skills and how much of a diy person you are

1 Like

Most of the Lift and Flying Rodeo parts are compatible with eachother but it’s definitely cheaper if you build them yourself…
It depends on your budget…

1 Like

I agree with @Efoil_hu, look into other options as well…
If you decide to make the board and other stuff yourself i would highly recommend the Easycomposites youtube chanel they’ve got a bunch of information regarding composite parts making and stuff

1 Like

Ok, I’ll keep looking around. Do you know of any guides for building parts, or would you recommend I find individual guides for each part that I would want to make? Thank you for all the help, this has been really eye-opening for me.

I’ll check out their channel. If I were to make a board, where should I look to find specifications for size, and the other things it would need? It would have to have a compartment for the battery, and a way to mount the foil, are there any guides you know of? Thank you for your input, it has been really helpful.

For board specifications i would look around on the forum and ask people about their boards and if it worked out for them the way they would have liked it to.You can check on google if you can find info about Lift and FR boards there may be someone who measured it or created a cad file of it…
You can check specifications of SUP boards as well they are kind of similar…
I don’t know of any guides look around on the forum you may find something but in my opinion the best way is to either cnc a board blank with the compartment or make the blank by hand and use a router/chisel +sandpaper to make a compartment…
For the hinge and locks check out the gemlux website, they’ve got everything you need … I would personally stay away from the pelican case strapped onto the board it’s ugly and it’s in the way /makes the board harder to use due to the extra weight in the front.
For mounting the mast maybe you can find something on the gong website if not browse the forum a bit people got pretty creative solutions on here. :slight_smile:
Or you can come up with your own unique solution… That’s the best part of building your own efoil ,you can be as creative as you like :yum:

1 Like

People are posting their builds here on the forum some of them have a very extensive description of how every part is made, look around on the forum ,you will find them mainly under the builds category.Finding individual guides is possibile and i vould recommend doing it (comparing a few to see which method and finished part suits you the best. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Both of you, thank you so much for the help. This has really set me on the right track for making an efoil, and has really helped me see the magnitude of this sort of project. Thank you again, and have a nice day.

Welcome to the forum.

All the information you need is on this forum. But, I think you might be underestimating the size of this project. Building an e-foil board is an enormous undertaking.

Yes. Stay away from maytech. Except for the maytech remote (it sucks to, but currently the best option).

If you have the budget to buy the Flying Rodeo propulsion unit, and buy an already built board like the Lift board (just the empty board), then you could just focus on building the electronics. Do large R/C Lipo battery backs. Make a waterproof battery enclosure, and a waterproof electronics enclosure (Lift board compartment is a wet compartment). Buy the maytech remote. And a 300-400 amp ESC. Chinese Surf or SUP foil.

But, you’re looking at over $6,000 USD just for all the parts. Maybe closer to $8,000 by the time you get a complete foil setup, and a charging system.

Feel free to check out my build. Good luck!

:call_me_hand:

My build was around 2,300€. I am happy with it, would recommend parts and procedure. It might not be the fanciest or leightest setup but I have the time of my life riding it. Get your hands on an old big windsurfer and cut it. This will easy up since you do not need to master all the laminating with pure xps blocks.

Welcome @Malveymonster. Before buying anything, do you know your budget ? Do you intend to use the board after the end of the project ?

I do intend to use the board after the project. I didn’t set a budget yet, I’m planning on starting the actual build in around a year and a half, so I was going to see what the price of most builds came out to be. Now, I’ve seen that it’s really all over the place and kind of overwhelming, so for now I’m just looking at the similarities and differences between different peoples builds. I was hoping the build itself wouldn’t exceed $5,000 but I still need to do more research to set a reasonable budget.

I went for an inflatable board. Took all the advice i could get from this forum, Its been challenging and great fun. about 3500/4000 euros spent to complete the project. some of that on parts i never used.

Then again, i am sure i save a lot by learning from mistakes others kindly shared on this forum. Its been my bible for the past 12 months. When the site went down yesterday for 12 hrs i was gutted. :slight_smile:

I looked at the build you put together, and I was wondering which components you used that caused it to be so much more affordable than some other builds I’ve seen? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what went well during your build, and what was more difficult? Thank you!

I wanted to update my linklist anyway and share it. There you can see all the stuff i bought, cost and source.

Maybe not today or tmrw, but near future :slight_smile:

okok, it was almost done already. Its in my build, you can find it here

Hello. There are many Lift efoil and Flying Rodeo Canada project foils operating in Canada. We have been lobbying the government to change the wording in the regulations. It will change soon. I ride my prop driven efoil almost everyday on the west coast of Canada. If you are in Canada I have some parts I could donate.