New 200A Vesc based Flipsky ESC

Reflashed formware to the “no hw limit” version and turned up motor current limit to 150A and battery current to 120A. More power now but if I hit full throttle at low speeds the motor will just cut out. If I release throttle and reapply it comes on again and works fine as long as I don’t give it too much throttle. Runs super smooth. Anyone know why it cuts off suddenly at high throttle. I assume it must be something esc related. Not bow voltage cutoff related since it’s set to slow cutoff at 38v and it does it with a fully charged 50v battery.

I have a similar behavior with my APS ESC on my 80100. I just avoid hammering it. I always assumed that hammering it that hard, the motor and the ESC loose sync. Is there a setting to change the throttle response so full throttle is approached more gradually.

I just went for the first time today, with my flipsky 200a / SSS56104 setup. Had similar issues, only very Little throttle worked, just a Little too much and motor Cut off. Had metr running, Recorded abs_over_current faults. Dont know What that means.

This means you didn’t setup the current properly.
Motor amps needs to be 120A. Absolute current 150A.
Battery amp 60/80A depending on your battery.

Hi Thom, thanks for your input!!

My settings is:
FOC mode
Motor current max 150A
Battery current max 120a
Absolute max current 150a
Current control = tried both Current and Duty cycle

Best was Current control, but only short times running 2-5 seconds and then Cut of.

You Think triyng your settings Will make a difference?

Which prop did you use ?
My parameters ar lower than yours, so, it won’t make any difference…

I am using the FR prop.

Anything Else you have setup on the vesc? Using FOC mode?

No, nothing… What is your Motor kv, Reduction of the gear and Tension of the battery (12 S ? )

500kv, 5:1 ratio 12S lipo

at last you can try

app settings - PPM - general - you can try to increase “positive ramping time”

motor settings , FOC , “stator saturation compensation”

1 Like

Motor current max = PID controller limit
Absolute mac current = safety shut down limit.

So by triggering full throttle you are forcing the ESC in safety shut down. ==> always set Abs max current at least 15% higher than motor current max.

2 Likes

You should set your Absolute Max current to 150A.
Motor max current to 120A.
Then no problem anymore.

Thank Alexandra! I have Stator Saturation compensation set to 15% and positive is by default 0,4s - what should i incease it to?

I have set motor current max to 120A now, and absolut max to 150A, I will go test, hopefully in a few days. Thank you so much for inputs!

For ramping it depends on the remonte , I set my at 0,9
Stator , I think it is more for outrunner or direct drive , geared spin faster with higher kv

Just one changed setting at the time and see what it does

I am not an expert…

Should we allow regeneration ( negative amp ) as well to smooth prop stop ? @Giga

Great succes tonight, worked like a charm! Had 25-30mins on the water, Learning to crawl om the efoil. Best feeling Ever - so addictive! Think i foiled for 2 seconds, so wierd everything goes silent. :smiley:

you never forget the first time silence, I can still remember mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I fixed my cutoff issue.

Motor current set to 160A.
Battery Current set to 100A.
Absolute current limit set to 200A.

I monitored the real time current plot in the VESC software while testing motor in my pool. At full throttle motor current is limited to APPROXIMATELY 160A but there are occasional spikes to about 170A. I think these spikes were tripping the absolute current limit and causing a hard stop. For the record, at full throttle (stationary in a pool) motor current is 160A (as set my max motor current limit) and battery current is about 80A. I held wide open throttle like this for probably 30 seconds. FET temp hit about 70 degrees. i have closed loop water cooling to a heat exchanger that happened to be out of the water during this test. Nothing seemed to get overly hot.

I dont plan to run anywhere near 160A motor current for very long but having a little extra comes in handy when getting up on to the foil. Once foiling i probably use around 80-90A motor current or about 45-50A battery.

VESC’s are so cool!

6 Likes

Hi!

I saw Flipsky did the 200A/75V VESC now FSESC75200. Did anyone order/try it?

L